Submariner Looking for Insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James87

New
Reaction score
Up front: I have discussed with my doc and he is not concerned that I have a dcs hit. I still have reservations and would like some perspective from the dive community.

I was part of a compartment pressurization test where we spent about 2 hours pressurizing the compartment to about 1.85AU, stayed there about 2 hours, then took about 2 hours relieving back down to normal atmosphere. This all equates to really slowly diving to about 27 feet and then coming back to the surface at a snails pace.

While "ascending" I was resting my eyes and had an odd nerve sensation -- a slight sense of "lightness" followed by a sharp jolt of nerve radiation through the body. I assumed this was somehow normal and decided to stop resting my eyes.

After returning to normal AU doc asked how everyone was and I mentioned the weird feeling, but otherwise I was fine. About an hour later I laid down to try and sleep and found that same feeling returned, making it impossible to sleep and causing pretty heavy anxiety -- it is a quite alarming feeling.

From there I had sensations of dullness that would move from body part to body part. Right cheek, middle finger, left index, right shoulder, right arm, feet, knees. It was like a phantom nerve condition that just floated wherever it wanted.

By about 8 hours later I was able to fall asleep for 3 hours. When I awoke I found myself to have some tingling in my feet. No numbness at all, but an odd tingling...maybe pins and needles? Not painful, but striking and out of place.

It has been 12 hours since I awoke and the tingling persists, sometimes impercievable and other times very apparent. Also if i try to sleep, the same "lightness" then sharp nerve radiation across the body. As I type this, I feel a strange pin prick sensation in my right cheek.

I find all of these sensations very difficult to put into words, but they are very different from anything I've ever felt and I find their duration and timing coincident to my "dive" to be concerning.

Thoughts anyone?

Get your doc to kick it up to a Diving Medical Officer. I would not expect that exposure to cause DCS, but everyone is different. A chat over the phone about the circumstances and your symptoms should give him enough to make a decision what to do with you.

@Duke Dive Medicine should check this thread and probably give real good advice.

Bob
619, 608

I find your symptoms concerning too. Your squadron should have an undersea medical officer, go see him or her immediately.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom