Reg for a newbie: Aqua Lung Mikron, Scubapro MK21, Atomic Aquatics B2, Apeks Flight or smth else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but why spend money on something that’s not needed? If I read it correctly the OP is an occasional vacation diver.
For the first stage swivel, I agree. Adding a second stage swivel is cheap and is a nice addition, even for a vacation diver.

For the first stage swivel, I agree. Adding a second stage swivel is cheap and is a nice addition, even for a vacation diver.
I like swivels, but less so if it is an add-on hunk of brass that sigificantly adds weight and extends the combined length of connections. So a model with the swivel designed in is first choice, and my second choice would be to switch to a braided hose with swivel connector, rather than insert a swivel between hose and box.

Have you considered a Hog D3 1st stage and maybe the Zenith 2nd stage? Fairly inexpensive reg setup and good for cold water diving. Also, the D3 1st stage has a swivel built in so the hoses don't pull when you turn your head. I run the D3 1st stage myself but I normally dive a FFM with a 40' MiFlex hose, QD fitting, and ball swivel. When I need to switch to a conventional 2nd stage, I'm currently breathing an Atomic Z2. It works great and I've added a QD fitting so I can disconnect it any time, but I probably need to add a ball swivel in there as well so I can maintain my under-the-arm hose routing. Just making recommendations on some decent gear that won't leave your wallet hating you.

Hog D3 Regulator Set

I like swivels, but less so if it is an add-on hunk of brass that sigificantly adds weight and extends the combined length of connections. So a model with the swivel designed in is first choice, and my second choice would be to switch to a braided hose with swivel connector, rather than insert a swivel between hose and box.
My z2 with the caveadventures swivel is not significantly longer/larger than the atomic swivel that comes on the z3 and higher from what I recall from handling them.

Dear scuba friends,

I'm looking for a lightweight (travel-friendly) regulator that would accommodate a Suunto transmitter. I'd like to have the option of having a backup pressure gauge if need be.

With the Mikron, I'm worried about the transmitter getting knocked around as it sticks straight out from the tank/first stage -- anybody encountered that issue?

Would you pair up the Scubapro MK21 with the G260V? Any alternatives?

Are there any other models that I should be looking at? There's so much out there!

Please note that I'm only diving a few times a year so I don’t need the most top of the line rig.

I have a Scubapro MK21 / C350 with Scubapro S360 Alternate and a Zeagle SPG I purchased in late April of this year. It’s only seen 8 dives. Works well, lightweight and great for travel but decided to go with a more suitable setup for cold water. I paid $800 USD but would consider selling it for $500.

I will not be using it for cold water diving.

I am familiar with the Mikron and the Apeks, but not the others. Yes, first question is does it need to be cold water rated? (< 50°) If so, neither of those are.
I have a Flight and I do really like it, but if you are a newbie you need to decide your spending priorities yourself. Lightweight regs are not THAT much lighter than some other models that are not marketed as "light weight travel", such as the Aqualung Core. Biggest advantage is the flexible braided hose and the lighter second stage, which helps reduce jaw fatigue and add comfort.
If you want cold water, consider the Apeks XL4. It is coldwater, and the 2nd stage is based on the Flight second stage. A nice compromise choice. But, no ACD and only one HP port.
And by the way, the pink womens Mikron is only the older discontinued model. The new Mikron only comes in choice of Yoke or DIN, but does include both size mouthpieces in the box.

A big unknown here is what kind of budget you are (or maybe aren't) working on. Assumptions color the advice you get.

One person's unnecessary extravagance is another person's "nice to have" personal treat or preference.

Also, look down the road a bit and buy what you will want to be using in a couple of years, not just what is "good enough" today. I have a salesman that says " buy nice or buy twice."

Yes, but why spend money on something that’s not needed? If I read it correctly the OP is an occasional vacation diver.

I recently upgraded to an M1, which has a swivel, from a Z2.

I love the swivel and it did improve hose routing and improved my comfort. However, the massive hidden benefit for the traveler is that it packs better with the swivel.

I am converting my Z2s to swivel next time they are in for maintenance.

I would recommend buying a used M1 or B2 over buying a new Z2 and adding swivel. You wont find used Zs with swivels.

We made the mistake of buying Apeks Flights. Now I’m here trying to work out what to replace them with.... sounds like I need to get on the Scubapro website and have a look around. If anyone has recommendations I’m chasing travel friendly, light second stage, suitable for both air integration (oceanic transmitter on short hose) and backup SPG. Warm salt water the vast majority of the time - I’m unlikely to be in anything <10 degrees C. Not interested in servicing them myself. Intensive vacation diving so sporadic use unfortunately. Depth, well we’re currently not doing >40m but intend to do some basic tech in the coming years purely so we can do slightly deeper wrecks the likes of Truk & Gallipoli.

Edit: We’re based in Australia not the US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom