How Convenient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to stories about where Fahrenheit pulled the set points for his scale from. There's one that claims it's a "natural" scale because "0 feels cold and 100 feels hot".

Fahrenheit set his scale to measure reasonable extremes of ambient temperatures... i.e. zero F is a really *&^%#% cold day, and 100 F is really hot. He was a pretty normal guy in most respects, so it's not as if he thought zero F was a nice cool temp and 100 was a little warm.

The scale was designed to measure temps where he lived, on the north shore of what is now Poland. Pretty reasonable that a very cold temp in that area was around zero F and it didn't get above 100.

As a scale for ambient temps, Fahrenheit makes much more sense than Celsius. Not my opinion, just a fact.

Fahrenheit set his scale to measure reasonable extremes of ambient temperatures... i.e. zero F is a really *&^%#% cold day, and 100 F is really hot. He was a pretty normal guy in most respects, so it's not as if he thought zero F was a nice cool temp and 100 was a little warm.

The scale was designed to measure temps where he lived, on the north shore of what is now Poland. Pretty reasonable that a very cold temp in that area was around zero F and it didn't get above 100.

As a scale for ambient temps, Fahrenheit makes much more sense than Celsius. Not my opinion, just a fact.

Yes but using your logic. If he had been an Inuit, he would have scaled it differently (100F to -80F, or 37.8C to -62.2C).

At least Centigrade is logical anywhere on the globe. 100C = boiling point of water, 0c = freezing point of water. Thats a constant.

At least Centigrade is logical anywhere on the globe. 100C = boiling point of water, 0c = freezing point of water. Thats a constant.
Not anywhere, "just" at 1atm of ambient pressure... at high altitude you'd need to boil your water a bit longer to kill some bugs as it boils at a somewhat reduced temperature.

Hey Doc, we also have 7 mm drills :)
and in specialized places (for small drill bit) you also get the half millimeter ones 6.5 7 7.5 and 8 ....
#7 and 7mm are not the same.

I have drills every whole and half mm from 0.5 to 16 mm, that include 7mm
I have fractional drills from 1/16th to 1 1/2", number and letter drill sets and metric up to 12mm. Never know what size hole you will need.

As a proud member of the colonial rebellion, I vote in favor of going metric! It would hurt for a couple of months as our brains adjusted but inside of three or four weeks we’d be spouting kilometers per hour and bar pressures as second nature. Granted Celsius has the granularity of a semi tractor trailer.

I have no trouble with distance in km or temperature in degrees C. Pressure in bar is the same (more or less) as pressure in atms, and I don't have much trouble with that, either. But gasoline (petrol) mileage is expressed in liters (litres) per 100km, which makes my head hurt.

I have fractional drills from 1/16th to 1 1/2", number and letter drill sets and metric up to 12mm. Never know what size hole you will need.

You have more fractional drills than I do, but I can bore any size hole I want. So there! ;-)

But gasoline (petrol) mileage is expressed in liters (litres) per 100km, which makes my head hurt.

:rofl3: It's petrol kilometre-age that's expressed in l/100km, gasoline mileage is in mpgs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom