50 hr flight to/from Sorong - I must be crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh..If you don't have lounge access because of status or class of service flown, do yourself a favor and sign up for Priority Pass or ensure you get some type of lounge access to make it more bearable. Maybe American Express cards can get you into a Centurion lounge? Free food, drink, booze! Comfortable loungers, showers, daybeds, etc.

I’m set up with an Amex Platinum so have lounge access for most airports, YYZ, HKG, CGK, although not sure if SOQ or UPG will have lounges.

Just did a similar trek to dive Komodo.
JFK-HND
HND-CKG
CKG-LBJ

With all the travel, you will be jetlagged for a little while when you get back. Took 2 weeks to get back to normal sleeping habits. But it was all worth it.

I really hope that Toronto gets a direct to Jakarta soon, and Jakarta gets a direct (both ways not just one way) to Sorong. I’m obviously thinking of my personal interests here. I can at least hope. :wink:

I really hope that Toronto gets a direct to Jakarta soon, and Jakarta gets a direct (both ways not just one way) to Sorong. I’m obviously thinking of my personal interests here. I can at least hope. :wink:

I'm so glad there is San Francisco to Singapore direct (non-stop, woop woop) now. That means I can just jump to Sorong through Jakarta then back again going forward. :)

I'm so glad there is San Francisco to Singapore direct (non-stop, woop woop) now. That means I can just jump to Sorong through Jakarta then back again going forward. :)

I wasn’t able to find a direct from Sorong to Jakarta on Garuda. Does one exist? It is direct from Jakarta to Sorong though.

Is Singapore to Sorong faster or easier than, say, HK to Sorong?

I wasn’t able to find a direct from Sorong to Jakarta on Garuda. Does one exist? It is direct from Jakarta to Sorong though.
In April we were originally booked on a direct flight, at a civilized hour, from Sorong to Jakarta on Garuda, so it may exist. But they cancelled it anyway and stuck us on some non-direct non-civilized flight. On the bright side, I guess we got to another island.

What was interesting is that our liveaboard had a detailed list of domestic flights between places that they recommended and that perfect looking direct flight wasn't on it. So they probably knew something that I didn't.

We are travelling from Toronto to/from Sorong in December. I just calculated the actual "in-air" flight time and it totalled 50 hours (49.333 to be exact), not including all the time waiting at airports in between flights. :cry:7 planes. I think I am crazy. I hope it will be worth it.
If you're crazy, we're all crazy. :wink: But I sure thought it was worth it.

If you're crazy, we're all crazy. :wink: But I sure thought it was worth it.

I sure hope you’re right!

I’m secretly planning a Bali dive trip already for 2019. I figured flights there would be just a bit easier. :wink:

My husband thinks we’re “sticking” to an easy and direct 4 - 5 hour flight to somewhere in the Caribbean.

I'm doing the Newark to Singapore 19hr 30mins non-stop next year. World's longest non-stop flight. Stopping in Singapore for three days then onto Manado (another 5 hours). That's over 24 hours each way. I've done JFK - JNB about 30 times but that's a mere 15 hrs (plus two more to CPT). Should be quite an experience. I'm bringing my friend Ambien to enhance the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom