Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven’t seen regular Caribbean Giant Anemones in the Cayman Islands; however, have observed several Sun, Corckscrew and Branching Anemones. Interesting is that critters commonly seen living in Giant Anemones elsewhere across the Caribbean Basin are adapting or perhaps settled and maybe equally as comfortable making a living on a different type of anemone.

Here is a Spotted Cleaner Shrimp - Periclimenes Yucatanicus... I guess it’s because it was first spotted in the Yucatán Peninsula, enjoying life on a Sun Anemone. The Cayman’s are the only place I’ve seen this critter living on a Sun Anemone.

View attachment 485313
Hi,
FWIW we do have the Giant Anemones in Cayman. Perhaps not as prevalent as they once were, but still around. Off hand know of a couple of them at LHPT just before and a bit deeper than mini wall, to the right facing the sea from the dock. TR has one off the mini wall ,on one of the coral mounds, just to the left, after passing thru the arch on the mini wall headed towards Hepps, that has been there for years.CC has them as well just back from mini wall.

Unfortunately, although we have the Giant Anemones and the Squat Anemone shrimp and Spotted Cleaning shrimp that like to co habitat with them,
our Diamond Blennies pretty much disappeared with the Lionfish invasion.

P2184479-Edit-Edit.jpg

Excellent. I’ll have to keep looking for them. Diving in the Cayman’s is superb and it’s so close to us in FL. A couple of NOAA scientist were conducting a study on lifespan of certain type of giant anemone, trying to prove that they don’t die of old age, but can continue regenerating and would live so long conditions allowed. I’m not sure if they finally wrapped that up, with a proof or disproof. Interesting idea nevertheless.

Beautiful indeed. Happy to learn that they are present. I’m going to keep looking and exploring. Not that I need much reasons to visit, but that’s a good one to help justify a prompt return.
Cheers,
Ricardo

Back
Top Bottom