Need help planning a dive trip to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I live in the USA and we would like to go diving in Cuba this winter (2018/2019).

We do not speak Spanish, so we are looking for an all-inclusive travel package.

We are experienced divers.

We are not interested in a live-aboard, we want to stay ashore and see the culture.

Does anyone have an experience or suggestions to help us sort through all of the stuff we're finding online?

Thanks

All inclusive packages to several areas of Cuba leave from Toronto and Montreal every day. It is not uncommon for people to fly in to Canada and then on to Cuba.
Most of the dive shops are government run, so your hotel doesn't always have a dive shop. A bus picks up at all hotels and takes you to the marina in this case. I have tried to contact dive shops in various locations for information without any luck, either I couldn't get an email address or I got no response. I don't speak Spanish so calling was not an option. The answer I received from the one hotel was to talk to the booking agent when I arrived. They did not understand that I wouldn't come if I couldn't guarantee diving.
The only place in Cuba I have been diving so far is Cayo Largo. The diving wasn't bad, but it was frustrating. There is no culture, the island was never inhabited. The beaches are phenomenal. It is on the Caribbean side.
Varadero is resorts on a long beach. There is no reef near, but the do day trips to go diving. Havana can be done as a long day trip. There are also cigar factory trips etc.
Holguin is closer to the reef, snorklimg was better. It also has day trips for local colour. These two are both on the Atlantic side.
My LDS used to run trips to Cienfuegos, and other shops go to Marea del Portillo, near Pilon but I haven't been to these areas. The resorts are very basic.

B
My wife and I live in the USA and we would like to go diving in Cuba this winter (2018/2019).

We do not speak Spanish, so we are looking for an all-inclusive travel package.

We are experienced divers.

We are not interested in a live-aboard, we want to stay ashore and see the culture.

Does anyone have an experience or suggestions to help us sort through all of the stuff we're finding online?

Thanks
Be advised it is still illegal for you to go there, except under certain restricted conditions.

It's tough to arrange your own diving in Cuba, but it can be done. Most of the dive shops are government owned, and in my experience, they just don't answer emails any more, no matter how far in advance you try. Maybe phone calls will work better. They are really just old school. They prefer people to just come into the shop and arrange their diving. Doesn't hurt to try though.

I first went diving in Varadero in 2002 and even as a brand new diver, it was only so-so. We did Havana as a nearly 24 hour trip and it was amazing.
I went back in 2015 and went diving at the Bay of Pigs, which was ok, and Jardines de la Reina (Gardens of the Queen), which was fantastic (link to my review and photos below), as well as spending a few days around Havana.
I went with my LDS to Marea del Portillo last year, and it was ok. Not a lot of big life. The scenery from our hotel of the sea and Sierra Maestro mountains where Castro laid in wait before his Revolution was beautiful. The area is very quiet, including the nearby town of Pilon.

From what I've seen as well as heard, the only pristine diving is in Jardines. The rest of Cuba is similar to most of the rest of the Caribbean.

Have you considered doing a liveaboard plus spending time before or after around Havana? We did a 10 day trip including 6 days on the liveaboard, an overnight trip to Bay of Pigs, and 3 days in Havana.

I had managed to arrange my diving by email (and in English) with a dive shop in Varadero the first time around. I also arranged the Avalon liveaboard for myself and friends by email and they're very responsive and communicate well in English. I had tried every dive shop around Havana by email to no avail for a while, and Avalon put me in touch with the great dive guide/casa (home) that we stayed with and there's contact info in the link below. The husband, Osnedi, does the dive guiding, provides tanks and fills, etc., and speaks English decently, and his wife Yaquelin makes the amazing food and answers the emails promptly - only in Spanish. I used Google Translate to translate my and her emails back and forth, and it was easier than I thought.

A 5 star hotel in Cuba is about equivalent to a North American 3 or 3.5 star, so you would be well advised to go for only 4 or 5 star resorts/hotels. The comfort, amenities, and especially their access to good food and spices is affected greatly. The best food is at a Paladar, a family run home restaurant, which we went to sometimes rather than having dinner at our resort, and they cost only around CDN $6 - 8 total for the two of us even last year.

I think there are still humanitarian trips for Americans run out of Ontario or Quebec where you are pre-paid at a resort and spend a little time at a hospice or other facility. They could probably arrange diving as well?

Sorry if I'm too long-winded. Cuba is absolutely stunning. Have fun planning! :)

Jardines de la Reina, Cuba Trip Report - September 2015

Cuba 2017 | Facebook

I am going for my first time this XMas. We are flying on Delta, via MSP-ATL-HAV. Flights booked like anywhere else.
We are diving and staying for 5 days at Maria la Gorda. A transfer is picking us up at airport and will drive us there. I used a company out of Great Britain, Scuba en Cuba. They booked my transfer, diving, lodging and food. This place is a little more remote than others, but we like that.
Our transfer will take us back to Havana. There we booked 4 nights at a Casa Particular on the Air B&B website. Plenty of great selections and awesome prices. All I need to get is cigars and rum! I will do a full report when I return.

It is not illegal to go to Cuba. You must, however, declare what you are going to do there. We choose educational experiences. As long as you are consistent with what you declare, no problem. I have a friend that has traveled there several times, same answers. We do not speak Spanish either. Not worried as that can be part of the fun :eek:)

I thought you had to have an approved itinerary, or approved "sponsor". I didn't think it was as easy as stating your itinerary and going.

I thought you had to have an approved itinerary, or approved "sponsor". I didn't think it was as easy as stating your itinerary and going.
I think it used to be that way, but not any longer.

There is the Cuban Caribbean dives where it is warm, clear and on calm all year, there is the wall and wrecks. for 600$ you can do 10 dives with accommodation including breakfast for 5 days. any question let me know.

The hotels are basic however right in the front of the sea/beautiful views or you can also do the private rooms in the city of Cienfuegos. there are two diving centers to use doing 2 dives each day ( faroluna and Guajimico). this is all arrange by the Cuban Diving Connections.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-23 (238) Cuba, UCPA Guajimico 2017 08 24 - Paraiso - YouTube(3).png
    Screenshot_2018-11-23 (238) Cuba, UCPA Guajimico 2017 08 24 - Paraiso - YouTube(3).png
    538 KB · Views: 77
I picked up a business card and brochure at DEMA are week, I can send you details tomorrow if you like. Probably bundles everything you need, within the legal guidelines.

We decided it was too difficult to pull off, so we're heading elsewhere. Very disappointing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom