I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s far as wetsuits I thinking about either getting a shortie or a 3MM, they might not be required for warm water but my sister and I both always seem to be cold
If that's the case you actually want a wetsuit. Many people dive one even in warm water since repetitive exposure to water colder than your body temperature lowers your core temperature.

also people pee in rental wetsuits...lol

My skinny buddy dives a 3mm all the time. I'm usually in a t-shirt/board shorts on the same dive.

I know these aren't split fins but what about something like this for my sister RK3 Rocket Fins
That's a lot of money for pink fins. Most paddle fins are in the >$100 range. Look at the details for any fin you're considering on a site like leisurepro.com - they'll list if pink is an option. Or the mft's webpage for the fin.

I don't know that brand to comment on suitability but it will be harder to kick than a split fin. The vents do help a little vs. a regular flat paddle fin. Those seem to be targeted at people who dive for a living though, not recreational use - read the description.

Don't buy them unless she can return them. Fins are one of those things you should try on before you buy. Most people buy mask/fins/snorkel from their dealer when starting out. Often a little more expensive than online but you know it fits.Chances are good that pink will be a special order at most shops also.

Safe ice diving needs specialized - and expensive - gear. Usually only more expensive regs are certified to colder temperatures.

Plus you need experience and redundancy - a freeflow while under the ice means you have to fix the problem as you can't surface except where you got in.

And you need a lot more exposure protection - likely even a drysuit - a decent one will cost more than all your rec. gear combined. It's something you want custom fitted to work properly - you have to manage the air in the suit to manage your buoyancy properly.

If that's the case you actually want a wetsuit. For many people they dive one even in warm water since repetitive exposure to water colder than your body temperature lowers your core temperature.
My skinny buddy dives a 3mm all the time. I'm usually in a t-shirt/board shorts on the same dive.
My sister's right leg is about an inch shorter than her left would she need a custom suit?

My sister's right leg is about an inch shorter than her left would she need a custom suit?
No you can likely just cut it with a good pair of shears. There's usually some sort of fabric bonded to the inner layer of neoprene so it won't fray under normal use.

Unless you order a custom fitted wetsuit - most off the rack models won't even need to be cut - the top of the boot will cover the difference.

Just don't get zippers on the legs. Tell sis to wear an old pair of nylons to get into it easier.

No you can likely just cut it with a good pair of shears. There's usually some sort of fabric bonded to the inner layer of neoprene so it won't fray under normal use.

Unless you order a custom fitted wetsuit - most off the rack models won't even need to be cut - the top of the boot will cover the difference.

Just don't get zippers on the legs. Tell sis to wear an old pair of nylons to get into it easier.
Cool. Now with me being 5'9 and about 250lbs how hard would it be for me to find a suit as I am right now (I did start the summer at 275 but I seem to have hit kind of a road block where I am just maintaing my weight and not really losing any)

I have no idea - I don't own a wetsuit

Has anyone here dove at any of those all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean? I have been seeing ads for Beaches and the like and was wondering how worth it would be.

Back
Top Bottom