Taxi Strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of nights ago we hailed a regular taxi and told him we had 3 people and a bicycle. He called on his radio and now I think he was just asking for instructions. At first I thought he was calling for a van for us. It turned out that we just put it in the trunk with the front wheel hanging out and the cable lock securing it to make sure it didn't fall out on a bump. He didn't charge any extra but I gave him a good tip. I always wonder about the horror stories I hear about Cozumel taxis--we always get fair rates and occasionally make a new friend. OTOH, the rate sheet I saw from the cruise ship dock appeared to be inflated. The lowest fare I saw was $8 US.

Well, they call it Special Services - so not real clear - but that is the private service - so about $8 to Casa Mexicana

Is that per person? I assume it is, but just wondering.

I believe it is 1-4 passengers are the same price.

A couple of nights ago we hailed a regular taxi and told him we had 3 people and a bicycle. He called on his radio and now I think he was just asking for instructions. At first I thought he was calling for a van for us. It turned out that we just put it in the trunk with the front wheel hanging out and the cable lock securing it to make sure it didn't fall out on a bump. He didn't charge any extra but I gave him a good tip. I always wonder about the horror stories I hear about Cozumel taxis--we always get fair rates and occasionally make a new friend. OTOH, the rate sheet I saw from the cruise ship dock appeared to be inflated. The lowest fare I saw was $8 US.

I've always assumed the cruise pier charges a surcharge to allow taxis in there.
Cozumel taxis are cheaper than a lot of cruise destinations, and cruisers like having the fares clearly listed, so I guess it's win-win for the taxi drivers if the rates are higher?
IIRC, the last time we were there on a cruise, rates were in dollars, not pesos. We negotiated for a peso rate.

IIRC, it's for the cab; the fare is the same for 1-3 people. More than 3 people costs more.

I'm pretty sure Christi was referring to the shuttle from the airport. No taxis allowed.

Specifically, I am curious about El Centro to the new caleta.
$110 ( for 1 to 4 pax) my LDS hires them just about daily. Now here is where it gets cute, if 4 persons get off the boat at the marina and grab a taxi and 2 want off at say Chedraui and the other 2 at Casa Mexicana often (but not always) they will declare it is 2 trips and demand $220

$110 ( for 1 to 4 pax) my LDS hires them just about daily. Now here is where it gets cute, if 4 persons get off the boat at the marina and grab a taxi and 2 want off at say Chedraui and the other 2 at Casa Mexicana often (but not always) they will declare it is 2 trips and demand $220

OTOH, if a local is already in the taxi and a couple of gringos get in too, the local often gets a free ride (on us). I've taken taxis on Isla Mujeres where the driver will pick up 3-4 people and everyone just pays 15-20 pesos each, depending upon where they got picked up.

We took taxis to the same place from the same departure point (Cozumel) and back several times within a few days and the fare varied by about 10 pesos. The only one that seems to be consistent is from the hotel we are now in to Centro, and back again. Since the hotel tells you how much it should cost they are kinda stuck. Ex: MEGA=75 pesos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom