What do you use against sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found as I've gotten a little older, I seem more susceptible to motion sickness. If the seas are going to be relatively calm I usually take a couple Ginger pills the night before, then a couple more in the morning of and am fine. If the seas are going to be rougher, in addition to that, I take a Dramamine pill 1/2 hr before the dive.

In Grand Cayman this past August, the seas were not rough, but not quite calm either the first coupe days. I erred on the side of caution and took a Dramamine pill each morning. There were a couple folks kinda sick but not terrible. The third day was supposed to be rougher... it was. I took a Dramamine pill in the morning (in addition to ginger) and then between dives, took another Dramamine pill as I was starting to feel uneasy. It worked great and I was good. I don't seem to get drowsy with Dramamine. That 3rd day, there were a couple/few folks getting sick. They would jump in the water any time the boat stopped. Guess that is supposed to help too?!

Admittedly, I have not tried other solutions... this was my progressive approach and it worked so I have gone with it.

I have only ever been sick once (the swells leaving the harbour were about 2-3m) so take my advice with a pinch of ginger but I think a lot of seasickness can be dealt with without medication.

Before anyone tackles me on the above bear with me. There were a number of people on my last trip who were taking medication for seasickness at the start of the trip (when it was fairly calm) but had forgotten it later in the trip (which is where we hit cross currents and basically the boat was almost corkscrewing through it). They weren't sick then.

If your eyes and ears are sending different signals, you will most likely end up sick so make sure you are looking at the horizon and not your feet.
Make sure you are well rested and well hydrated.
Don't fixate on being unwell (people get in the mindset that they will be ill and therefore they actually do even on mill pond smooth water).
Positioning on the boat helps - find the best spot for you and stick to it.
Avoid being near the exhausts/galley if possible

@Neilwood - For me personally, and as much as I'd love to not take meds for seasickness... and I do believe you're suggestions will help mitigate sea sickness... but some folks are just more prone to it - as you stated also (you are not). Looking at the horizon does help, but I have a hard time doing that when I'm gearing up or switching my rig to another tank, etc. Then it begins. Trying to turn it off after it starts is not something I've been successful at. Therefore, I play it safe so I can enjoy every dive to the fullest - I medicate. To what degree I medicate will be according to the seas... minimum is Ginger... maximum so far is Ginger plus Dramamine.

No, the worst side effect is you can't dive because you are too sick to gear up.
Second that! I only ever lost one dive, once, the last of the day, and that was the last time I went out on anything remotely rough without taking something, usually Stugeron (active ingredient cinnarizine) which I don't see mentioned elsewhere - maybe it's more of a UK thing?

I favour Stugeron because one dose an hour or two before setting off lasts all day. The caveat is that it can cause drowsiness; it's never had the slightest effect on me, but my wife is half-asleep all day after taking it. Luckily (or unluckily) for her, she's not a diver.

Bonine (meclezine HCL) (spelling?) works for me, and staying where you can see the horizon. Also, I know my limits regarding how rough the water is. (Realizing that things can get rough without warning!)

I have only ever been sick once (the swells leaving the harbour were about 2-3m) so take my advice with a pinch of ginger but I think a lot of seasickness can be dealt with without medication.

Before anyone tackles me on the above bear with me. There were a number of people on my last trip who were taking medication for seasickness at the start of the trip (when it was fairly calm) but had forgotten it later in the trip (which is where we hit cross currents and basically the boat was almost corkscrewing through it). They weren't sick then.

If your eyes and ears are sending different signals, you will most likely end up sick so make sure you are looking at the horizon and not your feet.
Make sure you are well rested and well hydrated.
Don't fixate on being unwell (people get in the mindset that they will be ill and therefore they actually do even on mill pond smooth water).
Positioning on the boat helps - find the best spot for you and stick to it.
Avoid being near the exhausts/galley if possible
I love seasick advice from people who don't get seasick.

Second that! I only ever lost one dive, once, the last of the day, and that was the last time I went out on anything remotely rough without taking something, usually Stugeron (active ingredient cinnarizine) which I don't see mentioned elsewhere - maybe it's more of a UK thing?

I favour Stugeron because one dose an hour or two before setting off lasts all day. The caveat is that it can cause drowsiness; it's never had the slightest effect on me, but my wife is half-asleep all day after taking it. Luckily (or unluckily) for her, she's not a diver.
I tried it. Did not work for me. I shouldn't say did not work. Dramamine, meclazine, Stugeron help a little. But I still get sick to the point I have trouble functioning. Hyoscine takes care of the problem until conditions get bad enough that the mariners are having trouble. And even then I can still function.

I love seasick advice from people who don't get seasick.
It’s like having breakfast after a night out with someone who doesn’t get hung over. However undeserved, you kinda have to hate them.

I tried it. Did not work for me. I shouldn't say did not work. Dramamine, meclazine, Stugeron help a little. But I still get sick to the point I have trouble functioning. Hyoscine takes care of the problem until conditions get bad enough that the mariners are having trouble. And even then I can still function.
Stugeron has seen me safely across the Irish Sea many times in a force 8 on a ferry with dodgy stabilisers. I'll maybe give hyoscine a try next time, though.

Prone to Sea Sickness? Cinnarizine!

And there was a specific discussion also on cinnirazine
Thanks for this. I didn't even search for other threads - I should have known this would have come up (no pun intended) before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom