Should I service my equipment?? - only 21 dives on them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the following:

Sherwood Avid BCD
Sherwood Wisdom Computer
Cressi Ellipse regulator/octopus/1st stage

I bought them late summer, and made only 21 dives on it - Should I have it serviced over the off season (which is right now)?? Last time I used them all was 3 weeks ago and it was all in excellent working order. They currently are in storage (is storage in a plastic bin fine?)

I would get them serviced at the beginning of next season if you are not planning on diving the rest of the year. If you are going to dive, then the annual should be fine.

Diving so little - once a year is quite adequate provided you do your own regular visual checks for obvious damage & deterioration.

Storing in a bin isn't the best place.
The hoses don't really like to be rolled for extended periods. Hang it by the first stage, so the seconds will be dangeling.

aquaoren:
Storing in a bin isn't the best place.
The hoses don't really like to be rolled for extended periods. Hang it by the first stage, so the seconds will be dangeling.

Depending on your 1st stage exit angles this can leave quite a lot of force on the hoses and small bending radii unless you have hose protectors to smooth the curves - especially if you have a heavy console (combined SPG / manometer / compass or computer).
I prefer to leave my hoses loosely coiled flat in a box with small plastic bags over the silicone mouthpieces to stop them from turning brown if they come into contact with the hoses (dye sublimation).

If you are a new diver, take your gear into the shop over the winter and ask them if you can observe while the gear is serviced. See if you can "tip" the technician and get an intro to the gear that keeps you alive. Don't expect to become a technician but it is very good if you have a better idea of what makes the things work.

Oh and spend as much time on your BC as your regs. Things like Overpressure valves and dump valves can screw up with a little bit of sand - but once you see how to deal with them - you can do "emergency" cleanings yourself.

Your local dealer can check it before you get back into the water next season and determine if service is neeeded. If you do not intend to dive in the near future. Be sure that you have thoroughly rinsed all the salt from them. Keep the dust cover in place and you should never push the purge buttons during the rinse. You do not want to chance getting water into the system unless attached to a cylinder. So that you can purge it proprly. Hanging it from the first stage and not the hoses is also good advice.

Really, I'm sure you're fine... 21 dives is nothing if you've taken decent care of the stuff and it seems like you have. The manufacturers all say a year or 100 dives... while some like atomics will go 200 dives. When you pull the stuff out in the spring, I'd try to hit a pool, and just make sure everything is OK... but I'd be greatly surprised if it wasn't. That reg you have is a little piston 1st stage, and they are a little work horse... and the seat won't score up as fast as a little diaphragm.

I think you got all your stuff from me... in which case the annual is just $39.95 and parts are free.... but I'd say you are no where near the service interval, you're taking care of the stuff... so don't spend the money. But then again, I don't change my oil at 3000 miles although the "Speedy Lube" tells me to... cause the manufacturer says change it at 7000. If the manufacturer says 1 year and 100 dives... after a few months and 21, your probably just past the break-in period! You can now rev your engine. :wink:

scubatoys:
I don't change my oil at 3000 miles although the "Speedy Lube" tells me to... cause the manufacturer says change it at 7000. You can now rev your engine. :wink:

You should change it every 4000 miles. The manufacturer wants you to buy a new car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom