I had to stop watching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@The Chairman
@ofg-1
Chairman
The comment was directed towards Ofg-1 for comment
I do apricated your response

Now for ofg-1 response to the original post which is a s follows:

"ofg-1 said:
I humbly stand corrected. Thanks Sam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So when and were did you begin your diving with out a BC?
Agency ?
Instructor ?

SDM "

Sam Miller, 111

The comment was directed towards Ofg-1 for comment
I realized that, but there were scads of us diving back then that had no real certification. Master Chief Williams never got in the water with us, and today his style of training would be condemned as child endangerment. I know I saw a horse collar or two, but I never noticed SPGs until I finally got certified. I didn't know they even existed until then and until ScubaBoard, I had no idea they were even available back then. In other words, my experience lead me to believe that they were developed much later. It's easy to mistake simple ignorance as being deceitful and I just want us to avoid that.

Ok, I think maybe some people going a little overboard regarding this video.

There are different kinds of divers and different kinds of dives. Sometimes it's a blue water hover and wait, sometimes it's a nice drift along a reef wall, sometimes a slow kick over a reef for macro subjects, sometimes lobster pickin, and sometimes just a fun dive with no particular objective. So what.

I'm in my 30s, and I dive with a regular group. We all have good safety and skills; good buoyancy, air management, communication, and minimize impact. Most of the time we are doing video or photography, sometimes we "survey" a site for our own knowledge, sometimes we go for "clean up duty". And sometimes we just go have a goof-off dive.... be silly, have fun, enjoy being down and being with friends. Butt cracks can appear suddenly in front of you, do flips and spins, or sometimes a fin buckle gets popped (which can actually be good practice for a fin strap failure). Only in one place will we occasionally settle on the bottom, it's a big sand bottom, with no critters.

But if anyone has issues, all goofing stops immediately. We assess, act, then move on.

My point is that there are different dives for different folks. Yes, I know that we here at SB have taken it upon ourselves to be better divers and I'm glad to be a part of that. But let's not take ourselves too seriously all the time. It's ok to have a little fun time and relax.

If that's not your style, that's ok, no prob. Don't dive with those groups. I dive with my group because we have a great balance between usually serious and sometimes fun, but always safe.

But besides some techniques, I don't see anything offensive about that video.

Be safe, but enjoy,

Cheers
:cheers:

Ok, I think maybe some people going a little overboard regarding this video.

There are different kinds of divers and different kinds of dives. Sometimes it's a blue water hover and wait, sometimes it's a nice drift along a reef wall, sometimes a slow kick over a reef for macro subjects, sometimes lobster pickin, and sometimes just a fun dive with no particular objective. So what.

But besides some techniques, I don't see anything offensive about that video.

You seem to suggest they just have a fun vs somber approach, with some technique issues. I finally watched the full video.

Bad:
- left a diver 2 minutes behind descending
- settle out by kneeling, standing, or sitting
- pull down to descend while negative
- ignore a PO2 and UP warning (4:46), signaling ok
- faff about for 2 minutes with an UP warning (6:37)
- kick the sand bottom swimming about and off.
- swim about for a bit with their tank hanging by the hose
- do not seem to have good buoyancy. Most are kicking up to hold depth.
- all seem to go vertical when still

Good:
- seem to have a planned 60 stop (10:50), maybe a safety deep stop (good ish, but it's a 2013 video)
- stop for two minutes+ (12:50-13:50 or -15:00?)
- one of them has their eyes glued to their dive comp
- level off again (16:47) presumably for safety stop
- seem fine removing regs (mid water) and clearing a mask (kneeling)

I think the tendency for all that bad, which they are strong at, should get sorted out above say 60', 30', or in the pool, not at the recreational limit of 130'. They did not belong at that depth. It has nothing to do with survey, clean-up, or goof off style of dives. Just my 2 cents.

@ofg ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So when and were did you begin your diving with out a BC?
Agency ?
Instructor ?

SDM

1967, Pensacola Florida. YMCA/NASDS class (the instructor went both ways), Skipper's Diving. I had double 38's, and a Mistral regulator I picked up from my uncle.

It's getting more and more tricky to go someplace I can feel young. I just want you guys to know I really appreciate you. A lot. ;-)

I feel like I just witnessed Spring Break underwater. :) Fortunately, I've never witnessed anything like that firsthand in my 40 years diving in the Caribbean. Not that I don't run into a poor diver here and there, but nothing on that scale.

I feel like I just witnessed Spring Break underwater

If you want complete muppetry

These clowns in Palau, which isn't a cheap destination, not the sort of place I would expect newly certified divers to go too

I'm sure @Landlocked123 will love this one

I particularly love the dude launching his smb - all the gear, not a clue...

This group probably do think they're proficient divers.

This group probably do think they're proficient divers.

Excellent, you need to watch in on slow to see more. I like the guy with the tank at 45 degrees.

Two of my favorites, I use as what not to look like on buoyancy and trim.
(you can run both in tandem, the music does not conflict)

Just horrid, really endlessly depressing, hard to watch it all, it is just all the same... and no bouncy music.... It runs just fine at 2x speed and will be over faster.

And I offer them in the 'what not to look like or destroy the reef like, be MUCH better than this', spirit for new divers. If your class looks like this, it is very very very wrong.

Two of my favorites, I use as what not to look like on buoyancy and trim.
Love it...

If I'm ever bored I just plug in Vandenberg or Spiegel wreck, and there's always some entertaining videos there.

However I offer you role model behavior (monkey see, monkey do )

Possibly the most Useless Certified Assistant (he's not going to be able assist anyone methinks) - Both pics stolen from internet

upload_2018-10-25_8-48-31.png

upload_2018-10-25_8-48-53.png

Back
Top Bottom