The eternal question... Neoprene or Trilam drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several people here went to Antarctica for some research. Everyone got Trilam and had no regrets. It is versatile, lighter, and more compact for storage.

In terms of flooding - well, if the flood is just a small leak then I've been fine in both types; I couldn't tell a difference. On a major flood I couldn't tell a difference between the two - it was simply cold.

I am not saying trilam is better than neoprene. Only you can determine which is better based off of how you define better.

Why not go hybrid and get an Aqualung Fusion? All the benefits of diving a trilam but it form fits with an easier to manage air bubble due to the lycra or neoprene outer skin (depending on the model you get). I have had one since early June and love it more each time I dive it.

-Z

Why not go hybrid and get an Aqualung Fusion? All the benefits of diving a trilam but it form fits with an easier to manage air bubble due to the lycra or neoprene outer skin (depending on the model you get). I have had one since early June and love it more each time I dive it.

-Z
I think the fusion is the worst of both worlds. Takes forever to dry, and it holds the world record for most Velcro and zippers on a single garment.

I think the fusion is the worst of both worlds. Takes forever to dry, and it holds the world record for most Velcro and zippers on a single garment.

I would agree that the Fusion Bullet, with the 1mm neoprene outer skin takes awhile to dry...it is really the only thing I don't like about my suit...but you can get a Fusion with a lycra skin instead, less expensive, and drys much quicker from accounts of those who have it. The only velcro on my bullet is where the ankle cuffs attach to my fusion boots, and where the wrist cuffs of the neoprene skin velcro the si-tec wrist wrings. The skin attaches to the suit via a zipper that follows the dry-zipper, and there is a protective zipper that closes over the dry-zipper....oh and the lower legs (ankles) have zippers up the side to make donning/doffing easier...which seems from my reading to be a welcome addition. The velcro the use is very tenacious, so I am glad my skin is held on by a zipper instead to make removal of the skin easier and more convenient....they advertise it as a rapid-zip system to facilitate drying of the protective outer skin....my understanding is this is not really necessary with the lycra skin.

According to Whites/Aqualung it has less seams than other suits....less points of failure.

-Z

My Ursuit dries fast. With a little fan I can have it completely dry overnight. Neoprene takes a lot longer to dry.

From what I have seen, if primary diving is in really cold water, dodging ice cubes, neoprene appears to be a good choice. I think that has a lot to do with the neoprene seals being warmer then the latex/silicone that are typically found on shell suits.

But my shell suit can be used in 70° water comfortably. I don't think that can be said for Neoprene.

I have a Neoprene suit that I have tried in the pool a couple of times. It was too ill fitting to be useful or draw good comparisons to. Anyone want to buy a nearly new O'neil neoprene drysuit? I think it is a generic size M with about size 11 boots attached.

I started with a DUI Trilam' for my first suit. My second was a DUI crushed Neoprene. My 'travel suit' is another DUI trilam', my current main suit is a Whites Fusion.

My favourite was the DUI crushed Neoprene. However, it did take time to dry. I would have preferred to replace it with another. The only thing that put me off was the poor quality of the newer generation DUI suits.

The Trilam' is great as a travel suit. Its light, packs down small, and drys quickly. One negative, is the latex seals, which when they fail its catastrophic. Neoprene seals are very durable, and don't 'tear' when they fail.
My newer whites has dry gloves, which means easy change wrist seals. (It also has the self change neck seal system).

The Whites has been very good, dry, comfortable, almost like diving a wetsuit. It seems to have stood up well to the abuse.

I would avoid a normal neoprene. I don't like the buoyancy changes they suffer, or the changes in thermal properties.

Ultimately it's about personal preference.

Thank you all for your advice.
Well, againt trilam there is a big reason... price. Not cheap especially the good ones
Neoprene is much cheaper, used like new could be even like 300 euro
My idea would be not to use the drysuit in summer (some people do that with the trilam). It's easier to use a plain 5mm wetsuit. For traveling, I don't see it as a big problem to bring a neoprene suit. I think it would be just few kg more than a wetsuit. Considering you can't dive one day before flying, it should'n be wet when the flight leaves and weight and volume should be normal again. Also, mostly when traveling I would go to tropical countries, while I need a drysuit especially for nearby places where I go by car.
You all say that a big advantage of trilam is that it dries up faster. I would like to understand exactly what you mean. I don't see it as a big problem, you just wait until the drysuit "becomes dry"... is it because or problems in travels that you consider an important advantage of trilam to dry up much faster?

On the drying point.

If you have a wetsuit, you are probably already aware that once wet the neoprene takes some time for to dry, in the heat and sun it is quicker than at night or in the cold.
A Trilam' suit is made of a inherently waterproof material, as an example a plastic bag.
The water is only on the surface. The water will evapourate very quickly off the surface, especially when compared to neoprene.
Trilam' is good for travel, it packs down small, drys quickly and is lighter than neoprene. The down side is what you wear under it is the where you get your thermal protection. I ven know a number of people who use Trilam' drysuits for the redsea. Warmth, convenience, weight.

Back
Top Bottom