First Boat and Salt Water Dive: Additional Weight Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I completed my OW dives in a quarry last month. I needed 16 lbs of weight with a 5mm wetsuit and boots. I have two drop weight pockets that are rated for a maximum of 10 lbs each.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like I can expect to need an additional 4-6 lbs of weight to sink in salt water. I'm extra buoyant, so I'm assuming it's going to be more towards 6 lbs, which would require another weight stowing option.

My question for you...how would you go about loading up with the extra weight? Maxing out the two pockets and put a couple hard weights on the belt? Max out the two pockets and get counter weight pockets for the tank straps? etc.

The place I'll be diving with has a full-service shop, so I have the option of picking up whatever I need from them this weekend. Thank you.

does your bcd not have trim pockets?

A couple of options that were not mentioned are ankle weights which a lot of people like and using a heavier tank. If you dove alum in your quarry you can ask if the shop you'll be diving with has steel tanks (which would reduce your weight requirement by 5-6 lb). But the easiest thing to do would probably be the weight belt.

if you need alot of weight, steel tanks are a good option. Reduces the amount of extra lead you need to carry, and they are generally good for trim. Depending on the tank, you can take ~ 4 lbs off compared to an AL80, but you should check the tank properties to be sure.

I doubt you'll need more weight, but if you share your height and weight or size of wetsuit it will give us a better idea of how much neoprene you're working with. Do you sink when you exhale in a swimsuit? Are you diving steel or aluminum tanks? What kind of BC?

I have a HOG BC. I'm 6'3" and 320lbs.

Looking on divebuddys weight calculator...I should need ~10 additional pounds in fresh water to sink at my weight. I had to run the weight down to 180lbs on their calculator to hit the 16lbs of weight that I'm using.

It's the same thing for wetsuits. I bought a 5X, but I should have gone with a 4X (extra space in mid section and legs fit not so snug). My instructor said that I could get away with wearing a vest under it.

does your bcd not have trim pockets?

No. I had the option to add them, but I wasn't thinking salt water diving when I got it. I was just thinking "I need 16 lbs of weight so two pockets is enough."

A couple of options that were not mentioned are ankle weights which a lot of people like and using a heavier tank. If you dove alum in your quarry you can ask if the shop you'll be diving with has steel tanks (which would reduce your weight requirement by 5-6 lb). But the easiest thing to do would probably be the weight belt.

I don't want ankle weights. I have two aluminum tanks. I was just planning on bringing those.

With my HOG BC...I have a standard 2" webbed belt (I should have said that in my OP).
if you need alot of weight, steel tanks are a good option. Reduces the amount of extra lead you need to carry, and they are generally good for trim. Depending on the tank, you can take ~ 4 lbs off compared to an AL80, but you should check the tank properties to be sure.

I have standard Catalina AL80's. They're not neutrally buoyant.

If you're not going to be diving steel tanks or just an AL80 and you really do know for sure that it takes you 16 lbs in fresh water w. a 5mm wetsuit, I'd plan on probably adding 6 lbs and would recommend adding trim pockets to your tank strap, probably on the higher one at that. I dive a Zeagle Brigade BC that has trim pockets and I like to run my heavy weights in the trim pockets to give me better trim and then whatever else I need in the ditchable pockets on the hips. If you have two tank straps it might not even be a bad idea to run trim pockets on both straps so you can centralize the majority of your weight on your back for trim purposes. I could be wrong and I'm sure some of the more experienced/tec divers will speak up.

I don't want ankle weights. I have two aluminum tanks. I was just planning on bringing those.

With my HOG BC...I have a standard 2" webbed belt (I should have said that in my OP).

I've never seen people put weights on a BC belt to be honest. I don't know if that is a good option, as it may interfere with the releasable pockets and in general will make the belt difficult to tighten.

I have found the difference between fresh and salt to be hard to notice, but maybe there's a significant difference for bigger guys. While scientifically we know there's a difference, in the real world with all sorts of different factors it's hard to determine. A weight check would be the only way to know for sure. The fact at your size and that much neoprene allows you to dive with 16 pounds suggests to me that you're not as buoyant as you think.

If you are buoyant I agree the solution here is steel tanks or add trim pockets to the tank cam bands. I would do a test to find out for sure.

Assuming you are going to be wearing the same rig as you wore in fresh water, here is my guess - Your weight (320 lbs) + your rig (45 lbs) + fresh water lead (16 lbs) = 381 lbs. Multiply 381 lbs by 2.5% = 9.5 lbs. Round that up to 10 pounds and put it on a weight belt. Have fun.

By the way, my son is a 5X kind of guy. He wears a 3mm suit, uses a SS backplate and wears about 18 pounds of lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom