What do you use against sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stugeron has seen me safely across the Irish Sea many times ...

Another voice for Stugeron here, I use it a lot when sailing offshore and it’s not let me down when taken in time, ideally for a rough trip start the evening before so it’s in your system.

Kwells I’ve heard of as more of a sledgehammer approach, they should in theory work when you’re already sick. They’re actually what’s included in the sea survival packs used by lots of commercial and military life rafts.

I know some people who’ve had very bad reactions to Scopolamine, as in hallucinations, and others with no issues ever.

The best cure, but obviously less than helpful I’ve found is vomiting your guts out, sleeping for 6-8 hours and then eating everything in sight.

@Neilwood - For me personally, and as much as I'd love to not take meds for seasickness... and I do believe you're suggestions will help mitigate sea sickness... but some folks are just more prone to it - as you stated also (you are not). Looking at the horizon does help, but I have a hard time doing that when I'm gearing up or switching my rig to another tank, etc. Then it begins. Trying to turn it off after it starts is not something I've been successful at. Therefore, I play it safe so I can enjoy every dive to the fullest - I medicate. To what degree I medicate will be according to the seas... minimum is Ginger... maximum so far is Ginger plus Dramamine.

The one time that I did get seasick was due to exactly the problem you highlight - gearing up while underway. I was busy getting my wetsuit on while the boat was lurching about. Lesson learned - turn up at the boat either ready to go or early enough to allow gearing up prior to ropes off.

I love seasick advice from people who don't get seasick.
I appreciate it sounds like I am preaching from a position with a lack of knowledge but when you are on board with 15-20 people for a week (on a couple of occasions), you get to learn things. One of those is that, despite the worst sea conditions on the trip, people were not sick despite not having taken their sea sickness meds for a few days. That is could be down to familiarity with the conditions (ie their body had learned how to cope with the inner ear/eye issues), they were so busy doing other things that they forgot about it or something else I am not aware off.

The one time that I did get seasick was due to exactly the problem you highlight - gearing up while underway. I was busy getting my wetsuit on while the boat was lurching about. Lesson learned - turn up at the boat either ready to go or early enough to allow gearing up prior to ropes off.

I wasn't even thinking of the wetsuit side of things... typically most of the year our dives are without wetsuits. I was thinking about just general gearing up (BCD, Regs, Misc gear, etc.). Regardless, I've taken enough precautions (medicating) not to have to experience getting sea sick while diving. I found out on an offshore fishing trip my tendency towards motion/sea sickness - so I no longer take chances. Just not worth it. If there's an easy solution, why not use it? The time in Grand Cayman that the seas were a bit more angry, I ended up dosing on Dramamine twice. Once prior to boat leaving dock and the other during the SI. I started to feel a little uneasy on the SI so dosed again. It worked like a charm. Not sure if I would have gotten bad enough to get sick. But I've been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

I won't normally be in my wetsuit ahead of time either... unless the boat is going to be so darn crowded it's difficult to don while on the water (happened once). Here in FL, even if the water is cold enough for a wetsuit, the air temp many times is still pretty warm. Sweating my butt off in a suit while [potentially] on the verge of getting sea sick - not a good combination.

Spent 3 weeks on a 45' fishing vessel in the Gulf of Mexico when I was younger (from FL to Belize and back). No medication. The first day was horrible, but my body got used to it after that. Waters were so bad you couldn't walk anywhere without holding on.

Stepping back on land however both in Belize and FL) it felt like walking sideways.

Since then I've been seasick twice (so 18 yrs or so). Both times were on an empty stomach. So I think there's a good bit to be said about eating before going.

This is from someone who gets carsick pretty easy depending on who's driving, and especially if I'm in the back.

When I fly planes (trying to get private license) or when I dive I try to take Bonine and eat something. Now that I'm older it's just not worth having a bad time. As long as I remember that I seem to be fine.

If I do get seasick it helps a lot to stare at the horizon (works in the car too) and if on a boat poor the coldest water I can find down the back (not at all my idea, but of those that were also on the boat). Seems to calm the feeling a good bit as long as I stay locked on the horizon. Once I turn away it comes back instantaneously.

This is all from the perspective of a newbie in diving, so take it for what worth... everyone have a great day!

I always eat a sausage & egg mcmuffin the morning of a dive.

Hahahaha... this has become my consistent pre-dive routine. Literally before every dive. It's the right balance of hearty yet small, easy to digest, solid carbs & protein. Funny thing is I literally never eat fast food otherwise, except for that pre-dive sausage & egg mcmuffin.

Been through them all over the years. If you want objective information, mine the many NASA papers and studies on motion sickness. If a diver gets sick, OK, they're miserable. If an astronaut gets sick...oopsie, coupla hundred million in equipment and the entire crew may die, so NASA has spent a lot of time and effort on lab and field research.
There is a "NASA cocktail" which you'd have to get by rx. Combination of two meds that works most of the time for most people, but even NASA says nothing works for more than 1/3 of people 1/3 lf the time. Which is oddly similar to the placebo effect.
They confirmed that ginger, ancient Chinese herbal medicine, works. It is a "rubificient", that is, it makes your skin ruddy because it dilates all the capillaries, which increases oxygenation, which physically helps the brain. As does refraining from tobacco smoke (CO reduces oxygenation) or diesel fumes or alcohol. Like a pilot, no booze 24 hours before flight, and stay hydrated.
Other meds like Bonine and Meclizine and Dramamine are all antihistamines, they work for some people with some drowsiness much of the time.
Then you step up to Sturgeron, which is banned in the US, and generally has few adverse effects.
And then there's Scopolamine (scop) which we currently can get only by rx in a 3-day patch. It used to be available in the US as an OTC pill. Then it went to rx-only, then it went to rx-patch only. (May a thousand camels tread on the toes of the FDA members who decided that.)
Scop is still available in the UK and former crown colonies (as is Sturgeron) under names like "Kwells" usually in a 10 or 12 pack for $5. Their dose is IIRC 0.3mg/pill where the US dose used to e 0.4mg/pill, but the dose is based on "a brain weighs eight pounds" not on body weight, oddly enough. That's for about 8 hours. Scop is serious meds and on a boat I'll routinely warn people if I'm using it, because it can cause heart arrhythmia, psychotic delusions, axe murders, hallucinations...and it gives everyone sensitivity to light (wear dark glasses) and a cotton mouth (great way to know it has kicked in and is working). But if you need serious meds, scop is it.
ANY seasick med should be tried after a doctor's OK, and at home so if there's any problem or reaction, you have help nearby. I can't overemphasize that especially with scop.

But there's another alternative. Nay-qwan wrist bands, that hold a button on the acucpressure pointin your wrist, about two fingers back from the hand, on the two tendons. They're cheap and vaguely about as effective as ginger (without the hiccups) but not really effective.

What no one believes or seems to grasp, is that the "Electric Relief Band" is an FDA APPROVED version of this. It looks like a wrist watch, but has 5 intensity settings and puts an electric tingle on those same tendons and your nerve bundles. It must be positioned carefully, and used with a conductive gel, to work properly. On low it just feels tingly. On high, it is more like a rat chewing your wrist. (Which beats all hell out of seasickness.) It is FDA approved against morning sickness, IT WORKS. Not for everyone all the time, but I've found it to be a very close second to scop, way ahead of everything else.

Available in 1-disposable, for maternity use, 2-disposable, for more durable waterproof (surface) use, or 3-replaceable batteries, so you can use it forever. Not waterproof, take it off before you dive, put it on again if you get back on the boat.

Cheap, compared to repeated rx meds. Expensive, compared to ginger. DAMNED EFFECTIVE and those FDA tests and approval mean someone actually did extensive tests on it.

Been through them all over the years. If you want objective information, mine the many NASA papers and studies on motion sickness. If a diver gets sick, OK, they're miserable. If an astronaut gets sick...oopsie, coupla hundred million in equipment and the entire crew may die, so NASA has spent a lot of time and effort on lab and field research.
There is a "NASA cocktail" which you'd have to get by rx. Combination of two meds that works most of the time for most people, but even NASA says nothing works for more than 1/3 of people 1/3 lf the time. Which is oddly similar to the placebo effect.
They confirmed that ginger, ancient Chinese herbal medicine, works. It is a "rubificient", that is, it makes your skin ruddy because it dilates all the capillaries, which increases oxygenation, which physically helps the brain. As does refraining from tobacco smoke (CO reduces oxygenation) or diesel fumes or alcohol. Like a pilot, no booze 24 hours before flight, and stay hydrated.
Other meds like Bonine and Meclizine and Dramamine are all antihistamines, they work for some people with some drowsiness much of the time.
Then you step up to Sturgeron, which is banned in the US, and generally has few adverse effects.
And then there's Scopolamine (scop) which we currently can get only by rx in a 3-day patch. It used to be available in the US as an OTC pill. Then it went to rx-only, then it went to rx-patch only. (May a thousand camels tread on the toes of the FDA members who decided that.)
Scop is still available in the UK and former crown colonies (as is Sturgeron) under names like "Kwells" usually in a 10 or 12 pack for $5. Their dose is IIRC 0.3mg/pill where the US dose used to e 0.4mg/pill, but the dose is based on "a brain weighs eight pounds" not on body weight, oddly enough. That's for about 8 hours. Scop is serious meds and on a boat I'll routinely warn people if I'm using it, because it can cause heart arrhythmia, psychotic delusions, axe murders, hallucinations...and it gives everyone sensitivity to light (wear dark glasses) and a cotton mouth (great way to know it has kicked in and is working). But if you need serious meds, scop is it.
ANY seasick med should be tried after a doctor's OK, and at home so if there's any problem or reaction, you have help nearby. I can't overemphasize that especially with scop.

But there's another alternative. Nay-qwan wrist bands, that hold a button on the acucpressure pointin your wrist, about two fingers back from the hand, on the two tendons. They're cheap and vaguely about as effective as ginger (without the hiccups) but not really effective.

What no one believes or seems to grasp, is that the "Electric Relief Band" is an FDA APPROVED version of this. It looks like a wrist watch, but has 5 intensity settings and puts an electric tingle on those same tendons and your nerve bundles. It must be positioned carefully, and used with a conductive gel, to work properly. On low it just feels tingly. On high, it is more like a rat chewing your wrist. (Which beats all hell out of seasickness.) It is FDA approved against morning sickness, IT WORKS. Not for everyone all the time, but I've found it to be a very close second to scop, way ahead of everything else.

Available in 1-disposable, for maternity use, 2-disposable, for more durable waterproof (surface) use, or 3-replaceable batteries, so you can use it forever. Not waterproof, take it off before you dive, put it on again if you get back on the boat.

Cheap, compared to repeated rx meds. Expensive, compared to ginger. DAMNED EFFECTIVE and those FDA tests and approval mean someone actually did extensive tests on it.
Nice summary I would include Zophran in the mix. Prescription only, anti nausea believed to work on Vegas nerve. Used for nausea from chemo-therapy. I’ve been told The USN Seals use this. For me I buy Kwells from AU (can’t get it shipped from the UK any more).

Regarding Meclizine - it can be purchased on Amazon for $7-10 for 100 tablets - I think that makes the generic about 10% of the cost of the brand Bonine.

I don’t get very seasick but whenever I’m diving offshore in NC, I take a Meclizine tablet right before bed, right when I get up, and again when I get to the boat. The one time I blew off my Meclizine, I ended up with a miserable trip (over an hour) on the verge of tossing my cookies - I remember now.

As far as drowsiness I haven’t had a problem with sleepiness at all, neither have the vast majority of the people I know. I do know of one friend who gets sleepy from taking it.

Back
Top Bottom