Dive Flag with Float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Reviews on these are all over the place ... any good recommendations? Will also need for snorkeling in some areas.

Avoid the really cheap foam ones the can get pulled under and sink. I have an inner tube one that is great. Some people will put milk crates n the center for spare lead (popular with instructors) or found treasures. Inner tubes are more work to tow around and can be flipped over if not set up correctly, which makes them like towing a see anchor. Polypropylene rope (the yellow stuff) is on the floaty side, so it tends to be easier to handle for towing. My experience is that you are better off dealing with rope issues underwater, rather than at the surface. Here is a pretty good video about flags. He skips the the torpedo floats and one of the floats has flag that is too small for some states.

I second the idea of an innertube. More specifically a trailer innertube. Make a harness so that the tow point is centered and below the tube and it won't flip. Keep the rope snug when you're under.

I can only say that Inner-tube models in current are miserable. They really haul you along. I have switched to the MAKO Hard Float/flag, and can't be happier.

I use the cheap one that can be pulled under and sinks. Got it for $20 back in 2002 for snorkeling (before I was a diver). I only use it where there is a chance of boat traffic and am pretty expert at keeping it on the surface and also not tangled in my tank or fins. But, not always. And my dives are usually very shallow.

I have this little dude, and is not so bad: it's very cheap, and the inflatable baloon inside is separeted from the outside layer, so it can be changed in case of holes...
The little flag is a little bit too little, but the whole thing is very bright and visible.
It comes with 30 meters of low quality string: trow it away and use a reel instead.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61lRIQ-lDmL._SX466_.jpg

This is all I use. I have pulled this float scuba diving in 200' of water and on 10' reefs free diving. My buddies and I often will scooter dive dropping deep and ending up on the first reef. I have modified mine slightly by adding weight to the bottom and a Florida regulation sized flag. Lots of other companies make torpedo floats. When free-diving/snorkeling it pulls like nothing is there.

Omer Master Torpedo Buoy with Removable Flag

just make sure whatever flag/float you get complies with the state laws you're diving in. I Love the design of the mako float, but it doesn't comply with the statutes in Mass. as an example.

just make sure whatever flag/float you get complies with the state laws you're diving in. I Love the design of the mako float, but it doesn't comply with the statutes in Mass. as an example.

Same with the Omer, or any other torpedo float company but you can modify it to comply with state law. I have found when you add the compliant flag you need to weight the bottom of the float to balance it.

Back
Top Bottom