Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My short answer is yes.. that’s a bad idea. 12 dives isn’t nearly enough. You need to be waay more comfortable underwater for the simple fact that you have no idea how your actually going to act if an inevitable shitshow goes down. Just my $0.02

Thanks for the reply Jay. It's appreciated. I also totally agree. What you don't know can often kill you.

I might give that a shot. It's my preference to take the course. Only the 100 dives requirement keeps me back. I also get that there is a 100 dive requirement for a reason. Maybe they could hold my card back...

Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was in an aviation field and served as an instructor. I am generally very risk averse.

I did my check dives last month and a large part of why I haven't been able to make further dives is that my schedule sucks and I haven't managed to find a dive buddy.

I've gotten a few "keep at it" and "good luck" responses, but that's about it.

My .02 if anyone cares...

You’re in aviation so you (should) obviously be well acquainted with proper preparation, checklists, etc. That’s a positive for you. Don’t slack on the pre-dive preparations...ever. Trust me on this, do not let complacency get you.

Get at least a 19 cf pony. Better to find a 30 or 40, and sling it properly. A 19 can be carried numerous ways, I always mounted mine to my tank on my back. Make sure the reg is serviced and check it before and during every dive.

Even though you can’t officially take the solo course, get a copy of the SDI solo book. Read it, do the gas planning exercises and incorporate the training into all your diving. It’s an awesome course, even for someone who never wants to solo dive.

Set your limits, follow them religiously, carry all the necessary safety equipment, tell someone where you’re going and when to expect you back, and be careful.

And if you get pulled over by the scuba police....we never spoke!!!

My short answer is yes.. that’s a bad idea. 12 dives isn’t nearly enough. You need to be waay more comfortable underwater for the simple fact that you have no idea how your actually going to act if an inevitable shitshow goes down. Just my $0.02

Those were pretty much my first words by the way...so no real argument here

I've had far more dives than that now and have experienced a bunch of things not going right. I've also been able to deal with all of them underwater. I have also done emergency drills while somewhat narced.

I've practiced many times solo but only in the pool so far. I also carry sufficient redundant air to surface safely with a safety stop. I also use a full face mask.
There are a few spots I'd dive solo in a heartbeat. No problem.

You really need to realize that in crappy vis you can lose a buddy in a heartbeat. I've been alone in the water several times.

Three fin kicks can be a long way away too if you need to stop and your buddy doesn't notice.

Anyway, still no solo dives except in the pool. It'll happen though and I'll most likely have a great time doing it.

My .02 if anyone cares...

You’re in aviation so you (should) obviously be well acquainted with proper preparation, checklists, etc. That’s a positive for you. Don’t slack on the pre-dive preparations...ever. Trust me on this, do not let complacency get you.

Get at least a 19 cf pony. Better to find a 30 or 40, and sling it properly. A 19 can be carried numerous ways, I always mounted mine to my tank on my back. Make sure the reg is serviced and check it before and during every dive.

Even though you can’t officially take the solo course, get a copy of the SDI solo book. Read it, do the gas planning exercises and incorporate the training into all your diving. It’s an awesome course, even for someone who never wants to solo dive.

Set your limits, follow them religiously, carry all the necessary safety equipment, tell someone where you’re going and when to expect you back, and be careful.

And if you get pulled over by the scuba police....we never spoke!!!

That's great advice.

I purchased the SDI manual right after my initial posts and have read it probably 10-ish times. (It's not a large publication...and wow do they need a professional editor).

I also use (or will) the SDI Solo Dive Slate planner thingy. They did a pretty good job of covering the basics.

I have 30cf pony that I sling under my left arm. I have a full face mask that can assist with not having a reg pulled out or mask knocked off and might buy me a minute or two if I was every temporarily unconscious (a doubtful benefit unless there was another diver nearby).

I have also drilled emergencies at deeper depths while somewhat narced under supervision.

I have also continue to drill emergencies with my set up alone in the pool.

I also have dual tank bands, a spare mask, and redundant lighting x2.

So yeah, what you said. Those are all great suggestions.

You have 4 certifications and only 12 dives and you want to start going solo?

If you’re prepared for it and feel very comfortable, maybe do it in easy dive sites, maybe but when I had 12 dives, I didn’t know my arse from my elbow (and still don’t haha).

You have 4 certifications and only 12 dives and you want to start going solo?

If you’re prepared for it and feel very comfortable, maybe do it in easy dive sites, maybe but when I had 12 dives, I didn’t know my arse from my elbow (and still don’t haha).

Like I said, I have way more dives under my belt. I don't even know how many...I'd have to check my computer.

It really doesn't seem like you've read much of any of what I've posted.

Like I said, I have way more dives under my belt. I don't even know how many...I'd have to check my computer.

It really doesn't seem like you've read much of any of what I've posted.
I didn’t mean to sound brash but you still have less than 50 if your profile is correct?

Do it if you’re comfortable in a controlled environment with a redundant supply and don’t get cocky.

I didn’t mean to sound brash but you still have less than 50 if your profile is correct?

Do it if you’re comfortable in a controlled environment with a redundant supply and don’t get cocky.

You don't sound brash - you sound like you refuse to read any of the previous parts of this thread.

How many times have I mentioned my redundant air? (Also all the other steps I've taken gear-wise) You need more than just redundant air to dive solo safely. I will be creeping up on 100 dives after my liveaboard trip in two weeks. Or sorry, do I need to post a pic of my Perdix for you?

Where do you find a controlled environment in the ocean exactly? If you read any of my posts you would know I've been practicing in the pool = as controlled an environment as you can find.

What about anything I've said sounds cocky? It has been a long time since my original post and I have still only practiced alone in the pool.

You do realize that every bit of advice possible has already been offered through 14 pages of this thread right?

Once again, try diving in crappy vis on a regular basis and see how many times you find yourself essentially alone out there..a buddy is a false sense of security.

Giving really basic advice to someone who has already gone way further in terms of precautions is just weird. I get it. Have redundant air. Check. Practice in pool. Check. Don't go in the ocean alone until you have more experience. Check.

So are we good now?

You don't sound brash - you sound like you refuse to read any of the previous parts of this thread.

How many times have I mentioned my redundant air? (Also all the other steps I've taken gear-wise) You need more than just redundant air to dive solo safely. I will be creeping up on 100 dives after my liveaboard trip in two weeks. Or sorry, do I need to post a pic of my Perdix for you?

Where do you find a controlled environment in the ocean exactly? If you read any of my posts you would know I've been practicing in the pool = as controlled an environment as you can find.

What about anything I've said sounds cocky? It has been a long time since my original post and I have still only practiced alone in the pool.

You do realize that every bit of advice possible has already been offered through 14 pages of this thread right?

Once again, try diving in crappy vis on a regular basis and see how many times you find yourself essentially alone out there..a buddy is a false sense of security.

Giving really basic advice to someone who has already gone way further in terms of precautions is just weird. I get it. Have redundant air. Check. Practice in pool. Check. Don't go in the ocean alone until you have more experience. Check.

So are we good now?
You misinterpreted my text. I wasnt saying you were cocky. I have experience solo diving but was just mentioning it would be good to do it in an easier controlled environment before doing deeper stuff further away from shore.

Do what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom