DIR- Generic Drinking the DIR koolaid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I posted this in the Deep South DIR forum since I'm in the deep south but I figured I repost here since most DIR divers aren't.

I'm out of Augusta, GA and was certified through PADI (basic OW) in September and currently have 10 dives logged. I decided well before getting certified that I wanted to streamline my diving as much as possible and dive with a BP/W (which I own currently) and long-hose. After watching so many GUE and ISE videos, I'm convinced that the DIR path is the path for me.

I don't know what the best way to do this is, though. Should I go for my PADI AOW next and then GUE fundamental? Should I just skip AOW and go fundie? Given that I only own my bp/w and not my own reg set, I assume I should focus on that. Anyway, glad there are like-minded people around me and I'm excited as hell to get going.

Go fundies. I wish I had. I would have saved so much money in equipment and courses.

Don’t worry about earning a rec pass. There are mainstream instructors who have hundreds, even thousands of dives who could not earn a rec pass.

The great thing about doing this so early is that you have no bad habits to break.

My biggest mistake starting out was not taking fundies sooner (I took it after about 380 dives). They were demonized in my area as the military of diving, all they do is practice and never dive for fun, and other nonsense.

I’ve gone the TDI route for tech as I dive sidemount, but I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you take fundies next.

Outstanding. Would skipping AOW and taking fundies enable me to go past the 60ft limit that PADI puts on OW divers (does it basically replace AOW)? I have the BP/W but not the long hose reg set.

I took Fundies at 120ish dives, my dad took it the month after me and he had 10 dives. He started kicking my butt because no bad habits, while I was unlearning to relearn.

I've seen the same with my students, there are exceptions, but the trend is that the newer divers in Fundamentals (and the Rec 1 Learn to Dive students) have a super steep learning curve, which is a good thing.

Take it sooner vs later.

Outstanding. Would skipping AOW and taking fundies enable me to go past the 60ft limit that PADI puts on OW divers (does it basically replace AOW)? I have the BP/W but not the long hose reg set.

You’ll get nitrox and can dive to 100 feet.

If you ever run into a dive op not accept that cert, then they are morons who don’t deserve your business.

Well I'm convinced, then. I set up an account at GUE but damn did I feel completely unqualified after their application questions.

I took fundamentals with two divers with about 20 dives each, while I had 100 some. They both learned a whole lot and pulled off rec passes. Though one had some trouble with the theory part and had to work with the instructor for a while after class, they got got the skills stuff during the dive sessions.

I think I had less trouble with the skills during class but I probably still do more things wrong that they do when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. The more bad habits you have picked up and the longer you have done them the longer it takes to stop doing them under stress.

You’ll get nitrox and can dive to 100 feet.
There's no depth on the Fundies card - you do get 32% as well as the configuration you did it in (doubles, drysuit, etc). Your depth rating is whatever you already had before Fundies.

If you ever run into a dive op not accept that cert, then they are morons who don’t deserve your business.
Unfortunately, this is very common.

@PullYourselfTogetherMan I did Fundies at ~25 dives and got a provisional pass which got converted to rec pass after another dozen dives or so. Depending on whether you plan on traveling for diving, you may want to get AOW regardless. I did and it's basically my dive travel card - never had any issues with any dive I wanted to do anywhere in the world.

There's no depth on the Fundies card - you do get 32% as well as the configuration you did it in (doubles, drysuit, etc). Your depth rating is whatever you already had before Fundies.

Are you sure? As mine says 100 feet and I was certified at the time as AN/DP. Possibly due to not having taken T1?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom