• 2 AI computers, SPG

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Other, describe below

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • AI computer, SPG

Votes: 66 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently non-AI plus SPG but hoping for a transmitter for Christmas to join the AI crowd

CCR: Petrel non-AI (canbus) on rebreather as primary computer, Perdix AI as backup computer w/SPG's on all offboard gas cylinders. Dive/deco plans in wetnotes if technical.

Open Circuit: Perdix AI w/xmitters. If there any slung cylinders for deco, they will have SPG's on them.

I started diving back in the days of no SPGs or dive computers (not to mention BCDs or octos). However, I'd never go back to those days! Currently I carry two different wrist computers (for redundancy as I've had batteries fail unexpectedly) and an SPG. However, I often dive a similar profile and am pretty much tuned in to my air supply along the route.

• Started by crunching the tables in the late 90's with a rented console sporting an analog depth gauge and SPG.
  • Next step was to buy a console with a cutting-edge Suunto Favor computer and an SPG.
  • After a couple years I jumped to AI with a Suunto Cobra (1), which was my mainstay for hundreds of dives over about a decade.
  • When I started tech training I wrangled a keyman purchase on a Suunto HelO2 II mix gas computer. I wrist-boot mounted the HelO2, and used the transmitter link with an SPG back-up. Used that system all the way through TriMix2 training, and beyond.
  • Now that I've given up deep diving and keeping things recreational, I'm tending more towards the travel minimalist ethos. So, now I've gone almost full circle back to a wrist bungee-mounted Suunto Favor and an analog SPG. Just can't get simpler than that, and I'm lovin' it.

I dive with an air integrated computer. When I am on vacation in the Caribbean I add a wrist mounted computer as a backup, in the event my air intergrated has issues. In the event my air integrated fails I have an SPG that I can add to the gear, and with the wrist mounted computer no multi day / multi dive deco information is lost.

Divegoose

2 non ai computers, one a suunto solution and an Aladdin 1 and a watch, tables in a bc pocket. I monitor depth frequently.

AI computer on wrist, non-AI computer and SPG in a console.

So, this poll has been up for a week, very good response, thanks to everyone for participating. Of course, this sample has all the usual caveats of a poll conducted on SB. I was interested in the distribution of configurations used for diving, but, was more interested in the frequency of AI use and the choice to dive with redundancy.

Not surprisingly, the most common configuration is a non-AI computer and a SPG. I was somewhat surprised that an AI computer, a non-AI computer, and a SPG ranked 2nd. I have been diving this configuration since 2010. Both an AI computer alone and 2 non-AI computers and a SPG were commonly employed. Few divers responded that they dive tables, timer/depth gauge, and SPG.

Nearly half reported that they dive with an AI computer. I was somewhat surprised by the frequency, but this has probably been significantly influenced by the introduction of the Perdix AI and the Teric. Forty percent dive with a redundant computer, a third dive with a redundant instrument to measure gas, and about a quarter with redundancy for computing and gas. Counting 2 AI computers as redundant for gas can be argued, 2 transmitters is a yes, one transmitter, not exactly. The poll did not differentiate between hoseless and hosed AI.

upload_2018-11-3_11-11-55.png

Suunto vyper novo ai and mare quad backup. Keep an spg in save a dive kit. I'm willing to lose 1 dive and call it if my primary ai computer goes out during a dive.

Perdix AI primary on right wrist, Scubapro Mantis M1 backup on left wrist, glass and brass spg in save a dive kit. I actually had to use the spg about 4 months ago when some jackarse with backmount doubles slammed into my transmitter with his tanks while crawling around me to descend while I was wrapping up my safety stop on the stern mooring line of the Duane in Key Largo. SMH His boat group couldn't wait 5 minutes as a courtesy to allow our ascending group to clear the line before they went down. I wasn't the only one he hammered on the way down. :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom