Catalina - Kelp/Viz in Early November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since I began diving, I've wanted to visit Catalina. I was able to dive a few days last fall in Monterey, and that only heightened my desire. It looks like I will have an opportunity in early November to fly out and do a long weekend. I've read reports on SB about the kelp dying off from warmer water. This is upsetting, as is much of the news about ocean health on a global scale. I wonder if I do make it out in November, will there be healthy kelp to see? I know that no one can predict nature, but I guess my question is - will Catalina look like the Catalina I've seen in so many pictures? Will the slightly colder weather help? Is it possible to generalize about the viz during this time of year, or does that mostly depend on daily conditions?

If anyone is looking to fill seats on one of the charter boats that leave from Catalina, I hope to be there 11/9, 11/10, 11/11. 2 divers willing to boat dive any of those days.

Thanks.

We will be there the weekend of Oct 27th. I will give info re dive park. Vis is generally better in the fall. I started diving in 2014, the kelp has not been the same since--or was it the excitement of gazing on this new sight? But better this year than last year IMHO. But really, it depends on the weather and the site.
Lizzi

Temperatures have dropped here pretty quickly this fall (unusual) and although kelp in the upper water column was affected by the warm waters earlier, kelp below that was in water cool enough to keep it fairly healthy. Since kelp growth initiates from the bottom that should Ensure healthy kelp soon.

OMG! Vis was at least 50 ft this past Saturday at the dive park. A little less on Sunday but still clear as...well, clear. I refrained from saying "you should have been here yesterday" when people were talking about the exceptional vis on Sunday :giggle:
Kelp at/near the Jacques Cousteau monument. I didn't see much kelp to the left of the stairs, but it is growing, about 5 ft long strands here and there.

OMG! Vis was at least 50 ft this past Saturday at the dive park. A little less on Sunday but still clear as...well, clear. I refrained from saying "you should have been here yesterday" when people were talking about the exceptional vis on Sunday :giggle:
Kelp at/near the Jacques Cousteau monument. I didn't see much kelp to the left of the stairs, but it is growing, about 5 ft long strands here and there.
Visibility this weekend was fantastic. Water temp was about 70 at the surface. Conditions couldn't have been much better.

I was diving at Catalina yesterday at a few sites west of two harbors. Vis was indeed fantastic, 60ft+. Water is still pretty comfortable too. The amount of kelp you will find will depend super heavily on what site you are at. Some sites the kelp is growing pretty well, other sites are nothing but sargassum. Can't speak as to the dive park, I'm always towards the west end.

I looked at my log book and the following sites had good amounts of kelp in August and Sept...hopefully they are even better now. Pasons landing, Black Rock, and Lulus Reef. Hope you get to see your forest.

Echoing what others have said about the conditions at the Dive Park this past weekend. Was there on Sunday and you couldn't really ask for better conditions. Got lucky and saw a harbor seal swim by (albeit quickly, like he/she was on a mission). Didn't come across any GSB though.

We had a couple divers in our group mention seeing some GSB. I was in the midst of a rescue class, so I couldn't tell you if there were even any fish in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom