Advanced Open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• A note on refreshers: Common guidance is to do a refresher if you haven't dived in 6-12 months. No matter how long or short you think that interval should be, the assumption is that the only value of a refresher is to get comfortable again, and recall your basic mechanics and motor skills. But by that logic, if you just keep diving, you may never again review and practice emergency procedures, the way you will in a formal Scuba Review.

• A note on refreshers: Common guidance is to do a refresher if you haven't dived in 6-12 months. No matter how long or short you think that interval should be, the assumption is that the only value of a refresher is to get comfortable again, and recall your basic mechanics and motor skills. But by that logic, if you just keep diving, you may never again review and practice emergency procedures, the way you will in a formal Scuba Review.
What a GREAT point.
It seems like you are the first I've heard of on SB that may agree with my idea of reviewing -- on land, mentally/physically going over the 20 "pool" skills (well 24 now?) and re-reading old & boring manuals? Of course, reviewing that stuff in water and with a buddy is much more ideal, but difficult on some things if you dive solo mostly.
And then there's reviewing all the Rescue and CPR stuff.....

I've often said that until I got "serious" about diving and got into the Rescue course and then DM, I was no better than most. Didn't give a thought to practicing/re-reading about ANY of that stuff. That could still be me, 13 years later--just diving without a clue.

What a GREAT point.
It seems like you are the first I've heard of on SB that may agree with my idea of reviewing -- on land, mentally/physically going over the 20 "pool" skills (well 24 now?) and re-reading old & boring manuals? Of course, reviewing that stuff in water and with a buddy is much more ideal, but difficult on some things if you dive solo mostly.
And then there's reviewing all the Rescue and CPR stuff.....

I've often said that until I got "serious" about diving and got into the Rescue course and then DM, I was no better than most. Didn't give a thought to practicing/re-reading about ANY of that stuff. That could still be me, 13 years later--just diving without a clue.
My other crusade regarding refreshers is to always include the LP inflator disconnect skill. I think the vast majority of BCD owners think they are maintenance free, and are diving with poorly maintained inflators that are years overdue for an inflator rebuild.
Years after your OW course, will you quickly (if at all) remember what to do when your inflator sticks and you start an express ride to the surface?

My other crusade regarding refreshers is to always include the LP inflator disconnect skill. I think the vast majority of BCD owners think they are maintenance free, and are diving with poorly maintained inflators that are years overdue for an inflator rebuild.
Years after your OW course, will you quickly (if at all) remember what to do when your inflator sticks and you start an express ride to the surface?
Yes, I've had it both stick and disconnect on it's own (probably my fault for not securing it in). Fortunately, I was in practice with uw oral inflation and continued the (shallow) dive.

What's the opinion about those who have our own pools in regards to refresher courses? I don't think everyone needs a refresher course

I've been out of the water diving for 11 years, and then 6 years. I hope not to go that long again but I'm just a once per month local quarry shallow depths rec diver. No real interest to take it any further. I'll do gear checks and practice a few times a year when the pool is uncovered when I'm active in diving, I always felt that was good enough regardless the length of time I've been out from diving.

Flame suit on. I do plan on buying a dry suit once winter is over, but all honesty, I'm just going to put it on with all my gear and jump in my pool once I get it uncovered. Not paying for a dry suit course. There's enough reading material and YouTube videos to see what people are doing to practice with them

What's the opinion about those who have our own pools in regards to refresher courses? I don't think everyone needs a refresher course

I've been out of the water diving for 11 years, and then 6 years. I hope not to go that long again but I'm just a once per month local quarry shallow depths rec diver. No real interest to take it any further. I'll do gear checks and practice a few times a year when the pool is uncovered when I'm active in diving, I always felt that was good enough regardless the length of time I've been out from diving.

Flame suit on. I do plan on buying a dry suit once winter is over, but all honesty, I'm just going to put it on with all my gear and jump in my pool once I get it uncovered. Not paying for a dry suit course. There's enough reading material and YouTube videos to see what people are doing to practice with them

If all you’re diving is the local quarry, that’s one thing. But if you’re diving off charter boats, that’s a different animal altogether.

If you have been practicing in your backyard pool, including the various Out Of Air and other emergencies drills, I can't make a compelling argument that you need (or would benefit much from) a refresher.

But, it is not uncommon for a dive destination to require evidence of having dived in the past "X" months or completed a refresher. I can't reliably predict how someone else would view your circumstance.

If you have been practicing in your backyard pool, including the various Out Of Air and other emergencies drills, I can't make a compelling argument that you need (or would benefit much from) a refresher.

But, it is not uncommon for a dive destination to require evidence of having dived in the past "X" months or completed a refresher. I can't reliably predict how someone else would view your circumstance.

On the proof: Dive destinations or charters I've used have asked when the last dive was done, and some ask about total dive count/deepest dive. However, they've always taken my word for it. I've yet to encounter one that asked for a logbook. (And if they did, I'm not sure what I'd do: I log in an Excel spreadsheet and don't get anybody to sign off.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom