GUE Fundies vs UTD Extreme Scuba Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering what the differences were between these two courses and schools of thought. I just put down a deposit for a GUE Fundies class for next summer (the only one within like 4 hours of me for a year), but UTD is easily available nearby. Would it be pointless to do both? Is there a reason to choose one over the other? Are they not actually the same theory?

Take GUE Fundies
The "makeover mini" about 25% of the time (1 day vs 3 sometimes 4 with GUE) and not nearly as thorough.

If UTD is available nearby, why not take their essentials class instead of the extreme makeover. That’s UTD’s equivalent to fundies

If UTD is available nearby, why not take their essentials class instead of the extreme makeover. That’s UTD’s equivalent to fundies

Would you take both or only one? Are there any differences in the theory or standards?

I'm not looking for the "best card"; I just want to bee a good diver.

Would you take both or only one? Are there any differences in the theory or standards?

I believe they are equivalent. There's more I will say, but I'll just start a conversation, as I don't to start (yet another) flame war. Scuba diving can be quite religious.

There wouldn't be any point to taking both. I would just choose one - that one being GUE Fundamentals hands down. I have taken Fundies but I have not taken Essentials. I have seen UTD instructors in the water in person and on video, as well as UTD divers, and there's just no comparison. The precise control in the water, the effortless task loading, the situational awareness, and proficiency in the skills of the GUE instructor/diver are obvious.

Will you learn from and would you be a good enough diver with either one? Sure.

There wouldn't be any point to taking both. I would just choose one - that one being GUE Fundamentals hands down. I have taken Fundies but I have not taken Essentials. I have seen UTD instructors in the water in person and on video, as well as UTD divers, and there's just no comparison. The precise control in the water, the effortless task loading, the situational awareness, and proficiency in the skills of the GUE instructor/diver are obvious.

“Ouch”.......that hurts......but anyway....

Yes, Essentials and Fundies are very similar and you will benefit greatly from either. ESM is more for buoyancy, trim and propulsion where Fundies/Essentials cover these as well as far more to prepare you to dive as a team member (skills, drills, protocols etc). Down the road there is little difference......

sorry - but I too have been in the water with both, and this is just not an accurate comparison.

cheers

I've given this a lot of thought and a ton of reading. Here on SB I thought the general consensus was to dive the instructor, not the class or the card.....no?

My general consensus is to spend your money reading books and diving with no courses

full.jpg

and you too can look like me

A Book: Something that has been deemed readworthy by someone other than the author and published

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom