TG-4 repair experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratpatch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have had a TG4 for 2 years now. it has been a very reliable companion under the sea, in the creek, and on the land. It is a great size to stick in my pocket and take it with me for the day as well.

We are headed to Roatan in 2 weeks, so I pulled it off the shelf (used it just a month ago) and went to check the charge on the Batteries, but now instead of turning on and working properly, The red indicator light by the power button comes on and nothing else happens. It gives a blink every 5-6 seconds, but nothing at all else happens with the camera.

So now instead of a miracle of photographic technology, I have a shiny red brick with an annoying light.

My question is, has anyone experienced this before and were able to fix it?
&
Have you ever sent anything back to Olympus to have it repaired?
How did the final cost compare to their "estimate" they give you when you fill out the form?

I have had a TG4 for 2 years now. it has been a very reliable companion under the sea, in the creek, and on the land. It is a great size to stick in my pocket and take it with me for the day as well.

We are headed to Roatan in 2 weeks, so I pulled it off the shelf (used it just a month ago) and went to check the charge on the Batteries, but now instead of turning on and working properly, The red indicator light by the power button comes on and nothing else happens. It gives a blink every 5-6 seconds, but nothing at all else happens with the camera.

So now instead of a miracle of photographic technology, I have a shiny red brick with an annoying light.

My question is, has anyone experienced this before and were able to fix it?
&
Have you ever sent anything back to Olympus to have it repaired?
How did the final cost compare to their "estimate" they give you when you fill out the form?

I've sent my EP-PL5, and my girlfriend sent her TG-5. These were both under warranty so no price was quoted. The service was pretty quick in both cases the the camera was back in just under two weeks.

Sorry to hear that, and can't comment on Oly's repair service. I've taken my TG-4 to Roatan numerous times. Without housing for snorkeling above the reef around West End, and for numerous dives in the PT-056 housing. Fabulous piece of kit, so I sincerely hope you get yours working!

Q, do you have an extra battery or external charger? I never charge camera batteries in the camera for a couple of reasons: 1) I always have 2+ batteries, so 1 in the charger and 1 in the camera being used; and 2) don't trust the chargers in the cameras for the long haul. You can get reasonable batteries + chargers on web. Maybe your battery is toast or maybe the charging ability is toast? I bought a charger + 2 batteries for about $30 if I remember correctly. They don't last quite as long as the OEM, but I get a 2-tank dive out of each battery without issues. Might be worth trying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom