Dive Knife That Could Also be Used for Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit of a knife collector, with blades from a variety of companies, high-end and run-of-the-mill. My camping knifes tend to be more expensive, but I also scatter less expensive ones into various backpacks and survival BugOutBags, so I can be sure that I always have a decent blade with me when on outings.

For the price, Mora of Sweden has really decent value. They are so cheap that if you lose one, you won't really care, but they hold up under a fair amount of abuse. At this price, get one to just leave hooked to your dive gear and another for the camping box. Morakniv Companion F with Black/Orange Handle (4" Satin) - Blade HQ This is just an example of one stainless Mora that would be suitable - there are many more that would work just as well.

I have an Ocean Master Beta Ti dive knife (and a Spyderco Salt for a backup) - but the Ti would be a horrible camp knife; hard to sharpen, etc. For camping, I much prefer knives from Bark River, ESEE, Gerber, etc.

I’m on my 3rd spyderco salt. I leave all my gear hanging up at work and a few people have decided they wanted them.

I take the clip off and use a shackle and snap bolt to attach them to my bcd d ring. It’s always there. Always razor. The serrations make cutting rope, fishing line, and nets effortless.

I’ve bought a few different then knives and they always get thrown in the back corner.

I’m on my 3rd spyderco salt.

This looks like a great product.

The Spyderco salt series are great knives, but keep in mind that the H1 steel they use, while incredibly corrosion resistant, is also on the soft side. That means you will be sharpening the blade regularly if you give it any use. The serrated versions are a bit harder and wear longer, but can be more challenging to sharpen for a beginner. The plain edge versions dull faster but are easier to sharpen.

Picked this up at Beneath the Sea a couple years ago. Titanium. US Gladius.

Attachments

• 20181106_164122.jpg
    20181106_164122.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 67
SOG Seal Pup Elite

SOG Seal Pup Elite.png

SEAL Pup Elite

Black TiNi over AUS 8 stainless partly serrated blade, choice of Kydex or ballistic nylon sheath
Not too big, generous handle size in tough glass reinforced nylon.

SOG Seal Pup Elite

View attachment 487661
SEAL Pup Elite

Black TiNi over AUS 8 stainless partly serrated blade, choice of Kydex or ballistic nylon sheath
Not too big, generous handle size in tough glass reinforced nylon.

I have something similar to this that I take backcountry hiking/camping. It's a KBar...if I took it diving I'd either stab myself or puncture my wing.

I also have a very small folding knife that I take climbing or canyoneering because I can open it with one hand.

Different knives for different jobs.

If we're talking plain edge knives, you'd be better off getting dedicated knives for both tasks. Dive knifes aren't great at holding an edge. Most are 304, titanium, or unmentioned stainless steel, which just means they don't hold edges once used. Titanium blades are probably the worst in edge retention, plus they don't sharpen well. You can sharpen 304 & stainless steel pretty easily (if you can sharpen that is), they're soft metals. Titanium just acts finicky.

The asian "budget" steels like 8Cr13MoV & AUS-6 perform better than dive knifes, and those in the knife community are considered decent at edge retention. Those run $30-$50 but are not suited for marine applications. So that will tell you how your dive knife will perform if you're using it a lot during a camping trip.

As a dive knife w/ plain edge, cutting through a thick rope or monofilament during a dive incident, you'll be fine. Resharpen after your dive day. As a camping knife, you're going to have to break out your sharpening stone quite a bit, even if you're just using it as a cooking knife.

Spyderco H1 steel in plain edge is a bit better, but still doesn't have great edge retention, especially when compared to VG-10 or higher end steels (your $70-$100 knives). H1 serrated is where that steel really shines; but I don't imagine serrated knives being particularly useful for camping.
You don't have to sharpen serrated edges as often for them to be considered cutting effective. Plain edges you usually do unless you get the high end steels with great edge retention. Those with stupid crazy edge retention however usually are "harder" to sharpen, meaning you need your actual 4x whetstone kit and spend time doing it.

Depending which blade forum you ask, folks will say Spyderco H1 plain edge performs on par or slightly worse than your budget steels for edge retention (ie. 8Cr13MoV, AUS-6 etc etc).

Depending on your bottom you can jam a folder with very fine sand if your buoyancy takes a S**T. Maintanence of a folder after a sandy surf entry/exit is a pain too.

As a dive knife, I prefer fixed blades and serrated. Short 1.5-3in blade, overall length not longer than 6in. Dalton Safety Knife, autoclave-capable trauma shears, or trilobite cutters are pretty popular choices, depending on what you expect to encounter in your environment.
Shears can cut through metal leader, Dalton Safety Knife will cover most of your bases and the serrations can let you brute through a metal lead, Trilobite shines a ton with monofilament and cave line but pretty much is useless for anything that won't fit through it's cutting channel. You can also make Dalton Safety Knifes yourself using kitchen steak knives.

I have something similar to this that I take backcountry hiking/camping. It's a KBar...if I took it diving I'd either stab myself or puncture my wing.
I must admit trying to re-sheath a KBar or SEAL Pup that close to your femoral artery in any sort of swell could be 'interesting'... :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom