Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let me know if I ever say something wrong.

Sure?/!

You made a blanket statement and @Diving Dubai has corrected you. Another post in the prior page also disagreed with you (post #44).

You've then doubled-down to say that your blanket statement shouldn't cover "rare exception". If so, then what you really meant to say was 'most places' or the like. But you didn't say that.

It doesn’t matter how many dives you have. Just because someone has 2 thousand dives, doesn’t mean they’re a good diver.
I never said I have much experience of diving. I’m only a Fundamentals diver with a hundred or so dives. I don’t claim to be anything, but I’m interested in these conversations because I want to do serious dives when I get a tech pass. I’m enthusiastic and if I’m wrong I’m wrong but its more dangerous doing deep dives with multiple stages in a wetsuit in general. I’ve never heard of water that hot, so of course, the rare exception applies maybe like in UAE. Don’t tell me I’m bang out wrong, when if it was anywhere other than UAE or any other scorching place, I’d be right.

Please let me know if I ever say something wrong. This is simply what was taught to me. I post to learn more from corrections from experienced divers more than to start arguments etc.

Edit: p.s. I've had 39deg C in S.E. Asia @30M. But that really is a rare exception :)

EireDiver, if I may, your tone sounds a bit aggressive when read on a forum.

It may be that in face to face you would sound different.

However, if you want to entice people to discuss and exchange opinions, I would advise you to not try to shut down other people and ‘win’ the discussion but rather to exchange ideas and to avoid speaking in absolutes.

You started by focusing on dave22387 second sentence:
That being said there are some dives where it just isn't really feasible.
Then you start by saying that anybody doing technical without a drysuit is wrong.
Where?

If you have the expense to dive, especially technical, you ought to buy a Drysuit. No ifs, ands, or buts...

If you’re diving 60m with multiple stages in a wetsuit, whether you have a dual bladder wing, or not, you need a Drysuit even in 80s. I’m saving up for Santi E.Motion +....

You get corrected, but still point out that he is wrong somehow because he is in the UAE ...
It doesn’t matter how many dives you have. Just because someone has 2 thousand dives, doesn’t mean they’re a good diver.
I never said I have much experience of diving. I’m only a Fundamentals diver with a hundred or so dives. I don’t claim to be anything, but I’m interested in these conversations because I want to do serious dives when I get a tech pass. I’m enthusiastic and if I’m wrong I’m wrong but its more dangerous doing deep dives with multiple stages in a wetsuit in general. I’ve never heard of water that hot, so of course, the rare exception applies maybe like in UAE. Don’t tell me I’m bang out wrong, when if it was anywhere other than UAE or any other scorching place, I’d be right.

Please let me know if I ever say something wrong. This is simply what was taught to me. I post to learn more from corrections from experienced divers more than to start arguments etc.

So it does not look like you are really sincere when you want to know if you are wrong. Never mind because most people will avoid correcting you, since they will be met with a barrage of defensive arguments.

I don't understand what is being shown in the video. If the activity is not intended to help a diver generate redundant buoyancy in an emergency, then what benefit does this provide?

Is it simply that winding up 200 feet of line on a spool would be a pain in the butt - so they deploy from half way up?

Is it intended to allow the diver to make a considerable portion of the ascent without having a smb on the surface and being more likely to be subject to differing currents on the bottom and the surface?

If the current is running strong on the surface and much less on the bottom, then the goal would seem to be to get an smb to the surface ASAP, so you don't drift too far off the wreck without an SMB above you?

Why not just deploy from the bottom and use a reel? A reel would seem to be easier to work than a spool and if a diver needs emergency buoyancy, couldn't he swim and wind himself up the smb line if using a reel?

What is the purported benefit of this activity?

If a diver would be ascending with a reel attached to an smb (on the surface), he could lock the reel up and then clip it off to his chest D-ring and thus free up both hands to deal with problems. Wouldn't that be harder to do with a spool?
The comment about a tech diver ascending from a tech dive has no imaginable tasks that might require the use of his hands is very hard for me to understand as well. What if he wants to take pictures with a camera, what if his scooter takes off, what if a buddy has an issue and needs help? etc.

What does THIS instructor tell his students is the reason for this activity?

I found another video from Chattertons AN/DP and Wreck cert class.

It seems like he uses the same guy to video the dives. If you watch the video @ 31:15 the camera mans DSMB line snaps on accent. He drops about 10' until he adds air to his wing. I wouldn't consider this to be an out of control decent. He manged it well.

On a side note, it looks like a diver goes the wrong way heading down to the engine room around 8 minutes. This seems odd since all the divers are in line going through the wreck. H is the same diver that took a long time to get his deco bottles off and be ready to drop in the wreck. Could he be narced?

I found another video from Chattertons AN/DP and Wreck cert class.

It seems like he uses the same guy to video the dives. If you watch the video @ 31:15 the camera mans DSMB line snaps on accent. He drops about 10' until he adds air to his wing. I wouldn't consider this to be an out of control decent. He manged it well.

On a side note, it looks like a diver goes the wrong way heading down to the engine room around 8 minutes. This seems odd since all the divers are in line going through the wreck. H is the same diver that took a long time to get his deco bottles off and be ready to drop in the wreck. Could he be narced?

I know JC does this dive on air most of the time in his classes which I think is very important. That guy was also diving dry so I know he was cooking given the temps on that wreck are normally 78 and up.

This is simply what was taught to me.
Just a little warning for someone who says he is still a relatively new diver. When you take training, you can take it from a variety of different types of instructors. I will describe two such types in perhaps overly simple and somewhat exaggerated terms here.
  • Some instructors and some agencies have decided that they know what is the very best thing to do in all occasions, and they will tell you the way it is, with no ifs, ands, or buts.
  • Others will tell you that in scuba different people have different theories on what works best, and they will advise you to keep an open mind, listen to the discussions, and make your own decisions.
Whichever of the two you encounter will have a major impact on how you dive, and it will have an impact on the way you discuss options with other divers.

Just a little warning for someone who says he is still a relatively new diver. When you take training, you can take it from a variety of different types of instructors. I will describe two such types in perhaps overly simple and somewhat exaggerated terms here.
  • Some instructors and some agencies have decided that they know what is the very best thing to do in all occasions, and they will tell you the way it is, with no ifs, ands, or buts.
  • Others will tell you that in scuba different people have different theories on what works best, and they will advise you to keep an open mind, listen to the discussions, and make your own decisions.
Whichever of the two you encounter will have a major impact on how you dive, and it will have an impact on the way you discuss options with other divers.

Very well put and so true.

EireDiver, if I may, your tone sounds a bit aggressive when read on a forum.

It may be that in face to face you would sound different.

However, if you want to entice people to discuss and exchange opinions, I would advise you to not try to shut down other people and ‘win’ the discussion but rather to exchange ideas and to avoid speaking in absolutes.

You started by focusing on dave22387 second sentence:

Then you start by saying that anybody doing technical without a drysuit is wrong.

You get corrected, but still point out that he is wrong somehow because he is in the UAE ...

So it does not look like you are really sincere when you want to know if you are wrong. Never mind because most people will avoid correcting you, since they will be met with a barrage of defensive arguments.
Ok you’re right it sounded worse than I meant it to sound.

Teaching TDI class, he many not have a choice. It's part of the required drills for TDI decompression procedures class. Even if you do have a dual bladder wing, you still have to complete bag ascent for the class. At least that's what my instructor said.

I was told that essentially means ascend with a bag.
That is incorrect. It means deploying a lift bag to support an ascent line, not using a bag to make an ascent.

Where?

If you have the expense to dive, especially technical, you ought to buy a Drysuit. No ifs, ands, or buts...

If you’re diving 60m with multiple stages in a wetsuit, whether you have a dual bladder wing, or not, you need a Drysuit even in 80s. I’m saving up for Santi E.Motion +....
I agree. I wouldn’t want to be diving below 200’ without a drysuit. 80° is fine dry, especially after a long, cold dive and little exertion during deco.

Back
Top Bottom