Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that's what I said and how I interpreted the intent of the skill as well. There's no reason it couldn't be done neutrally buoyant and in good trim - I know, because that's how I did it (I clearly wasn't in that video :wink:). No mention was made to using it for failed BCDs either, he required a different redundant source of buoyancy that wasn't a DSMB (dual bladder, lift bag, dry suit - though I agree that a drysuit is a horrible idea for redundant buoyancy!). The technique was simply a transfer of some of the buoyancy from the BCD bladder to the DSMB. As you ascend, your bladder goes from negative to neutral and the DSMB goes from neutral to positive. You let go when you're closer to the surface so you're not reeling in 200'+ of line, don't have an absurd amount of rode, and the DSMB location is more representative of your actual location in the water. I would imagine that in an emergency situation (OOG, etc.) your approach would change... but shouldn't that be true of all diving? You make the best decision on course of action based on the circumstances?
Can you please elaborate on why a drysuit is a poor backup for buoyancy?

Can you please elaborate on why a drysuit is a poor backup for buoyancy?

Unless you are only slightly negative, using your DS will necessitate a large unwieldy bubble. Furthermore, if you don't mantain a perfectly horizontal trim (like crawling out of a wreck) that bubble can go to your feet which while not an emergency does require some ninja moves to correct in tight quarters, or if it goes to your neck you'll get a loving neck squeeze or in my case it'll just burp out.

I know it's accepted to be used as backup by alot of divers which is fine, I personally don't do it if I'm real heavy. It's not designed to be used as bouyancy and certainly isn't rated to be. Furthermore some manufacturers even print the warning to not do it in the suit. Why not use a double bladder? Obviously if diving a balanced rig, the drysuit would most likely be ok. But as stated in previous posts, when deep wreck diving you can't always be balanced.

Unless you are only slightly negative, using your DS will necessitate a large unwieldy bubble. Furthermore, if you don't mantain a perfectly horizontal trim (like crawling out of a wreck) that bubble can go to your feet which while not an emergency does require some ninja moves to correct in tight quarters, or if it goes to your neck you'll get a loving neck squeeze or in my case it'll just burp out.

I know it's accepted to be used as backup by alot of divers which is fine, I personally don't do it if I'm real heavy. It's not designed to be used as bouyancy and certainly isn't rated to be. Furthermore some manufacturers even print the warning to not do it in the suit. Why not use a double bladder? Obviously if diving a balanced rig, the drysuit would most likely be ok. But as stated in previous posts, when deep wreck diving you can't always be balanced.
I greatly appreciate the polite, thought out reply to my question.

This is simply not true

What @PfcAJ said.

The nonesense on this topic has to stop. Make sensible equipment and gas choices and there’s no need for any complicated wing goobery. Doing one dumb thing to fix another is called stupid.

(Had to steal “goober” AJ... that’s an awesome word haha)

What @PfcAJ said.

The nonesense on this topic has to stop. Make sensible equipment and gas choices and there’s no need for any complicated wing goobery. Doing one dumb thing to fix another is called stupid.

(Had to steal “goober” AJ... that’s an awesome word haha)
It is a good word :)

One bad choice requires another bad choice to make up for it. On and on it goes.

Id much rather drown.
Don't flood the rb80!

Actual flooding my CCR is my biggest worry (puncturing a wing not so much), and if I rip a loop hose near the head its not going to retain a teaspoon of gas in the can or CLs. All that lost buoyancy is... yikes.

Don't flood the rb80!

Actual flooding my CCR is my biggest worry (puncturing a wing not so much), and if I rip a loop hose near the head its not going to retain a teaspoon of gas in the can or CLs. All that lost buoyancy is... yikes.
Its ok, even if that thing floods the wing will support it.

Rb80 is tough to flood though. The CLs are so protected and are really tough. The inhale loop hose is the weak spot for flooding the whole thing.

Its ok, even if that thing floods the wing will support it.

Rb80 is tough to flood though. The CLs are so protected and are really tough. The inhale loop hose is the weak spot for flooding the whole thing.
Meg hoses are tough as nails plus I have covers. The CLs aren't too fragile plus are protected from direct contact by the T pieces. But poo happens and it gives me the jeebees. Floods are the reason I got a larger than mandatory wing (45lb) to support a full load of gas minus any canister buoyancy. The weak spot for me is the CLs above the T pieces (by my neck).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom