Need help: SCBA, DIN, and Yoke...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The local fire dept in my old stomping ground (home town) says they will fill my bottles if I can find an adapter. (In a former life I ran with those guys but most have aged out and moved on to the golf course.) Is the threaded SCBA connection the same as DIN or is it different? Does anyone know what the thread type/size is called for the Fire Service SCBA whips used to fill the FD air packs? I was planning on taking my gear home next trip but nearest dive facility is an hour away from there.

Any help would be appreciated. The guys said they used to have an adapter but since no one used it, it got misplaced...

it is VERY different from DIN.

You can't really build them any cheaper than this, so easier to just buy it from John.
SCBA to Din

ask him to put this fill adapter on here though, it's a lot nicer. Shouldn't be an upgrade charge.
Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded

also of note, depending on which compressor it is and how big/long your tanks are, or if you have doubles, they may not fit into the fill station. The department I fill at has a new Bauer and doubles obviously won't fit in there. The outlet of the Bauers is a QF4 body. You can buy a fill whip with that plug and call it a day. I have a ~100ft fill whip that I made so I don't even have to take tanks out of the car which is nice.

Just realized I left out some key info. I dive Al 80s, so looking for a yoke adapter for the SCBA whip. The reason for the DIN confusion was just hoping the Fire Service used the same connection. Considering the evolution of the Fire Service bottles, it did seem a stretch though... but that is a cool gear site. Thanks.

@TheQuintessentialMan call John, tell him Tom Nelson sent you and ask if he'd make that as a yoke adapter for you if you want to go that route. Alternatively if there are any buddies of yours, or any chance you'll buy DIN tanks, I'd get the adapter as is and get a din to yoke screw on adapter for ~$20 and call it a day. He may have a used one

if you want to donate your left kidney for one.... I'll try to remember to check my price list later, but last I remember those adapters were well over $100. Get the one from NESS, it's nicer anyway
I'll have to check my price list as well but I'm pretty sure I paid less than $100.

Global isn't cheap, especially if you have to go through an LDS, but they do have the stuff that people are looking for.

Edit- just checked our last order. Under $60 for an SCBA to Yoke adapter.

Back
Top Bottom