Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you from first hand experience that it is not an emergency procedure, it's simply an ascent line for drifting deco. We prepared our DSMB as we left the wreck because the timeline allows for it then and we don't have to mess with it while switching gases or needing to head to our next stop. I didn't release mine until the first stop as most did, by then they're positive enough you don't want to keep it down anyway. Then we kept a little weight on them to keep the line from having too much scope. John had no stipulation wether we used gas from our BCD, exhaled into them, or used a reg to inflate.

Thanks for the definitive answer. That's what I was thinking was the concept of the procedure. I really like the idea and want to try it. It seems perfect for the type of diving out here. Did you find it worked well?

And I'm not gonna drink the Kool aid... Have fun
This thing about drinking Kool Aid among GUE divers is basically a derogatory term for a diver who follows a diving philosophy to perform dives as safely as possible, as easily as possible, and all the while having as much fun and enjoyment as possible, as it’s very comfortable being in a like minded team with good goals. I have personally found the switch from PADI to GUE a lot more enjoyable and fun.

Yeah admittedly, great things aren’t for everyone but maybe you should open your mind to it and let the indoctrination begin...

You might enjoy it:) you never know.

This thing about drinking Kool Aid among GUE divers is basically a derogatory term

Well it’s an accurate one.

How do you know someone is a GUE diver?
They will tell you.

This thing about drinking Kool Aid among GUE divers is basically a derogatory term for a diver who follows a diving philosophy to perform dives as safely as possible, as easily as possible, and all the while having as much fun and enjoyment as possible, as it’s very comfortable being in a like minded team with good goals. I have personally found the switch from PADI to GUE a lot more enjoyable and fun.

Yeah admittedly, great things aren’t for everyone but maybe you should open your mind to it and let the indoctrination begin...

You might enjoy it:) you never know.

I actually like about 90% of the DIR ideas. I've studied what they teach and use what works for me and don't use what doesn't. What I don't like is the idea that alot of their divers think they do it right lol and the majority of other divers out there do it wrong and are inferior and are gonna die. The majority of technical divers are not DIR and safely complete dives everyday. So it really is Kool aid and it doesn't work for everything

I can tell you from first hand experience that it is not an emergency procedure, it's simply an ascent line for drifting deco. We prepared our DSMB as we left the wreck because the timeline allows for it then and we don't have to mess with it while switching gases or needing to head to our next stop. I didn't release mine until the first stop as most did, by then they're positive enough you don't want to keep it down anyway. Then we kept a little weight on them to keep the line from having too much scope. John had no stipulation wether we used gas from our BCD, exhaled into them, or used a reg to inflate.

My timeline does not give me time for a smb when I leave the wreck. Every 20 seconds I have to ascend 3 meter/10 feet.

The divers from the video were doing a dive with backgas 24% of oxygen and decogas 70% oxygen.

For that dive (with Trimix) I would do the first stop at 70 feet/21 meter and switch to ean50. One of the team members would shoot the smb at 21 meter. It would be no problem. A team of 3 would be perfect for me.

But in het video they were using a decogas ean70. The mod would be 12meter / 40 feet.

I don’t understand why everybody should use a smb. Why not 1 smb for each team?

When using a decogas with a mod of 12 meter/ 40 feet there will probably be stops deeper then the gas switch.

I think the trim and buoyancy of the techdivers in the video are not good enough to do the decostops without a smb. I also think trim and buoncy of the techdivers in the video are not good enough to shoot a smb during a (deco)stop.

If you need a BCD, then it’s not a balanced rig. That was ,uhh, my point.
Balanced rig = Light enough to be able to swim against the rig with full tanks, heavy enough to allow you to be neutral at 15' with no gas in your wing (minimum gas in drysuit, enough to loft your undergarment) and near empty tanks.

My timeline does not give me time for a smb when I leave the wreck. Every 20 seconds I have to ascend 3 meter/10 feet.

The divers from the video were doing a dive with backgas 24% of oxygen and decogas 70% oxygen.

For that dive (with Trimix) I would do the first stop at 70 feet/21 meter and switch to ean50. One of the team members would shoot the smb at 21 meter. It would be no problem. A team of 3 would be perfect for me.

But in het video they were using a decogas ean70. The mod would be 12meter / 40 feet.

I don’t understand why everybody should use a smb. Why not 1 smb for each team?

When using a decogas with a mod of 12 meter/ 40 feet there will probably be stops deeper then the gas switch.

I think the trim and buoyancy of the techdivers in the video are not good enough to do the decostops without a smb. I also think trim and buoncy of the techdivers in the video are not good enough to shoot a smb during a (deco)stop.

It was a training dive

It was a training dive

Why would you do a training dive to 51 meter / 170 feet if you need to sit on your knees at the wreck?

That also doesn’t make sense for me. I don’t want to do a training dive to that depth without good trim and buoyancy.

If something goes wrong during a decostop, you can’t sit on your knees...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom