Manatees March 2019 - where, when and with whom should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an annual pilgrimage for me for the past 20 years, and I can offer some advice. First, don't count on scuba diving with manatees. The bubbles often (not always) scare them off, as I have seen happen in King's Spring (which is a very poor dive in any case--murky, small cavern, not much to see). You are greatly reducing your odds of good encounters and interactions if you want to limit yourself to King Spring (the only place you can scuba with them in Crystal River) and scuba (a sub-optimal way to see them). More important, no op that I know of will put in King's spring with scuba at the same time they are doing their early morning manatee trips (the best time of day to see them by far). If you tried to do it by kayak, I would expect a pretty strong reaction from the dive operators and probably some intervention from the fish and wildlife service. It might even be against current regulations. There are people everywhere watching the snorkelers and divers, looking for any reason to shut it down. You must set a good example for the rest of our sakes. Also, the only place with truly clear water that is left is not King Spring but is Three Sisters Spring, and absolutely no scuba is allowed there. Everywhere else in the river is murky with algae due to phosphate pollution. it is an empty shell of what it was 20 years ago in terms of water clarity.

The desire for a "scuba selfie" is a poor motivation, some sort of trophy photo instead of one of the most enlightening encounters with intelligent marine mammals possible. Re-set your goals and you will enjoy your trip much more, as will those around you and yes, you will have lots of company who will not appreciate being jabbed with selfie sticks or anyone chasing the manatees trying to get photos. Most ops will not even allow fins on the snorkelers, which how big a concern it has become with people chasing the manatees.

The simple fact is that you get far more, better and more meaningful encounters snorkeling with them. When they are on the bottom they are sleeping and any approach is forbidden even with scuba gear at King Spring. Approach them on the bottom and a hundred set of eyes will be reporting you to the authorities. When they are active, they stay on top, no need for scuba at all. Float quietly and they will come to you and often beg for attention or play with you, as other have noted. You will have access to the clearest water for your photo if that is what you are aiming for by snorkeling at Three Sisters. You can also go to Homosassa River and snorkel there. The water is sometimes a little clearer, but even that is getting more and more polluted with algae.

You might get lucky at Weekie Wachee, but I can tell you that enforcement against diving with manatees is extremely strict once you get away from Crystal River. The mere act of being in the water close to them, let alone with scuba gear, is deemed to be "harassment". What was posted in the photos above looked great, but might get you arrested if an overzealous officer is nearby. The fines are pretty stiff.

And yes, use Birds. They will get you what you want, and tell you what you can and cannot do. Their guides are excellent. For a first time visit, getting the lay of the land from them is by far the best thing, including the current regulations (they can change from year to year). They can hook you up with lodging as well. There are several hotels in the area, and you might check airbnb or VRBO as well. But reserve ahead of time as they do fill up in peak season pretty far in advance.

By the way, the time of year you are going is right at the end of prime time. One month prior and you would be at the peak of the season. You are pretty much guaranteed of great encounters when the weather gets cold but by March it can be beginning to warm up, but can still be really great. Just not as reliable as January/early February. 5-6 days should be good and three will most likely be enough for manatees, leaving a couple days for the very interesting drift dive down Rainbow River (scuba or snorkel), and maybe a trip to a nearby cavern or two for some scuba.

Diving with intelligent marine mammals, who are free to roam but willingly choose to approach and interact with you, is one of the greatest, most uplifting, and enlightening things that can happen to you. If you are just going to chase them for a photo, you are going to lose out. By all means take your camera. But I offer this advice (I am an avid photographer as well), leave the camera behind for at least one of your dives and enjoy the gift being bestowed on you by our fellow travelers on this planet. it is a very rare privilege.

Dear Guy Harrison,
Thank you for your valuable advice and information - it is very much appreciated!! :-D
Just to clarify: Though I have one single selfie of myself with a dugong, selfies have never been of special interest to me. I do not even own a selfie-stick or a camera approriate for a selfie stick. I am anyhow much too ugly for photos. So no - my motivation is not a scuba selfie.
I like to experience wildlife in a respectful manner - whether it is deer, bears, songbirds, elephants, oceanic whitetip sharks (longimanus), whales or dugongs or manatees.
Again thank you very much for your valuable advice - thank you for taking the time to post it...it is much appreciated by me! :-D
Best regards, H.

What Guy said about Kings Spring/Cavern is correct, its not that great a dive. The cavern has limited visibility and isn't all that big. If there are more than a few divers, they kick up a bunch of sediment too.

While you can't approach the manatees on scuba when you enter or leave the cavern, you might get lucky like I did and have them swimming all around the cavern entrance. I didn't try to approach them, but just hung out at the cavern entrance for a few brief seconds and watched them swim around above me and to the side (along with a ton of snook too) and then slowly, slowly surfaced while I looked around at them. It was a cool experience.

By the way, American Pro also does a dive in the Rainbow River. When I was in the area, I did the snorkel with manatees/Kings cavern dive in the morning and the scuba dive in the Rainbow River in the afternoon. It was a fun day all around.

Dear Guy Harrison,
Thank you for your valuable advice and information - it is very much appreciated!! :-D
Just to clarify: Though I have one single selfie of myself with a dugong, selfies have never been of special interest to me. I do not even own a selfie-stick or a camera approriate for a selfie stick. I am anyhow much too ugly for photos. So no - my motivation is not a scuba selfie.
I like to experience wildlife in a respectful manner - whether it is deer, bears, songbirds, elephants, oceanic whitetip sharks (longimanus), whales or dugongs or manatees.
Again thank you very much for your valuable advice - thank you for taking the time to post it...it is much appreciated by me! :-D
Best regards, H.

Great, with that attitude you are in for one amazing experience. Honestly, seeing them on scuba is a waste (because you can't approach them the same way snorkelers can) compared to the quality of the experience while snorkelling. But, like sportxlh said above, there are other good dives in the area. Most operators can set you up with them, but Birds is run by experienced cave divers who know the area like the back of their hand and who have staff that can either guide you or give you all the info you need. And, if you have time to hang around the shop, and you are lucky enough to meet Bill, his stories will amaze you and he might even show you some videos of his amazing dives if they are not too busy.

If you are up for something different, go to Hunter Springs and rent a kayak or SUP and you can often paddle or drift right alongside the manatees. I like the SUP because you can see far better into the water--make sure you have polarized glasses.

+1 for Birds. Crystal River is an annual pilgrimage for me as well and I always use Birds. There is a Best Western less than 5 minute walk. Nothing fancy but the rooms are quiet & clean with good wifi. They include breakfast but I think it's served too late for the early AM departure (which you want). I'm close enough to make the drive up the morning of, so haven't stayed overnight in a few years. The last time I stayed at the Best Western they had hot coffee and fruit at 5am and were still serving breakfast when I got back from that 6am trip.

Crystal River, FL Hotel – Best Western Crystal River

Just to clarify: Though I have one single selfie of myself with a dugong

The picture you posted is not a selfie. Can you post the selfie?

Tridacna....ah, that is not technicaly a selfie? Then I do not have a selfie photo.

If you take it yourSELF, it’s a SELFIE. Otherwise it’s just a photo. Nice photo BTW.

There is another trip besides the King Spring run by American Pro. I did the king spring but also did one on Homosassa. river near by on another day. Saw lots of manatees. Stayed at a cabin on the Homosassa river. They picked us up at the cabin. They are scattered along the coast of florida but it is hit or miss on most of the east coast. If you want guaranteed then go to the Crystal river area. They are fun in the water but we were cruising up the Homosassa and a big one went by cruising past us. They can really move when so inclinded. Was impressed by their power in the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom