Any decent diving near Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Augusta, we have both the Savannah River and Clark's Hill lake. Both are very fun to dive and each have their own, ahem, challenges. Both will make you a better diver. Unfortunately, you're two-ish hours away.

Hello!

Rather than start a new post/thread asking the exact same thing, I figured I'd just ask in this older thread and see if the info is still pretty much the same. Maybe there are changes or interesting additions?

I've got friends in ATL and I'd love to visit them (and use that excuse to go diving. Or is it the other way around?
I've never been diving in a quarry. I hear it can be dark and cold.

Hello!

Rather than start a new post/thread asking the exact same thing, I figured I'd just ask in this older thread and see if the info is still pretty much the same. Maybe there are changes or interesting additions?

I've got friends in ATL and I'd love to visit them (and use that excuse to go diving. Or is it the other way around?
I've never been diving in a quarry. I hear it can be dark and cold.

Quarries' water doesn't really circulate, so it stratifies with thermoclines. In the summer it's typically 84F in the top 15 feet, then down into the 50s by 70 ft.

What is left in/around Atlanta now is Alabama Diveland, Blue Water, Loch Low-Minn in TN, Jocassee in SC.

Behind that, is going to FL for panhandle, or cave country, or Ft Lauderdale or the Keys.

There is tale of a dive group buying a quarry nearer to ATL proper. Who knows.

Quarries' water doesn't really circulate, so it stratifies with thermoclines. In the summer it's typically 84F in the top 15 feet, then down into the 50s by 70 ft..

That sounds so cool to me. Plus, I like the dark and low viz.

What is left in/around Atlanta now is Alabama Diveland, Blue Water, Loch Low-Minn in TN, Jocassee in SC.
Behind that, is going to FL for panhandle, or cave country, or Ft Lauderdale or the Keys.
I'm thinking that using the excuse of wanting to visit and stay with ATL friends wouldn't probably work if I fly out and them leave them for a few days roadripping/diving.
I might as well just fly to FL! Though honestly, I was looking for something not-so-sunny-and-tropical. I enjoy my Florida dives but I prefer the tropical waters of the Eastern Pacific. (OK. Maybe we're not considered *that* tropical).

I'm thinking that using the excuse of wanting to visit and stay with ATL friends wouldn't probably work if I fly out and them leave them for a few days roadripping/diving.
You could probably be at Dive Land Park in 2 hours or less (depending on ATL traffic), and about 2.5 hours to Blue Water Park. I'm guessing both would probably be a little warmer than Loch Lo Minn Quarry or Philadelphia Quarry in East Tennessee (which have thermoclines down to around 55-57 degrees (at 50-60 feet deep) even in August. Loch Lo Minn does have paddlefish, which is an attraction for some. Last I checked, Philadelphia Quarry had a very reasonable $60 package which includes admission, every bit of gear you need including wetsuit, and all the tank fills you need -- just in case you didn't want to schlep your gear when visiting friends.

I believe the closest salt water diving may be around Savannah at 4 hours or less, then Charleston, though I don't know how good either place is to dive. Panama City Beach is not much farther than Charleston, and you can hit some of the Florida Panhandle Shipwreck Trail from there -- it's not the Caribbean, but it's usually pretty warm, and there are some neat things to see (including goliath grouper).

You could probably be at Dive Land Park in 2 hours or less (depending on ATL traffic), and about 2.5 hours to Blue Water Park. I'm guessing both would probably be a little warmer than Loch Lo Minn Quarry or Philadelphia Quarry in East Tennessee (which have thermoclines down to around 55-57 degrees (at 50-60 feet deep) even in August. Loch Lo Minn does have paddlefish, which is an attraction for some. Last I checked, Philadelphia Quarry had a very reasonable $60 package which includes admission, every bit of gear you need including wetsuit, and all the tank fills you need -- just in case you didn't want to schlep your gear when visiting friends.

I believe the closest salt water diving may be around Savannah at 4 hours or less, then Charleston, though I don't know how good either place is to dive. Panama City Beach is not much farther than Charleston, and you can hit some of the Florida Panhandle Shipwreck Trail from there -- it's not the Caribbean, but it's usually pretty warm, and there are some neat things to see (including goliath grouper).

Googling 'paddlefish' - woah. those are neat! never seen one!
I am a cold water diver - not a hater! And I would bring my own gear. My local water is basically 50F. Sometimes less at lower depths. On warmer water days it might reach to 53'f! :p

I think if I attempted the Florida Panhandle Shipwreck Trail, I would grab a scuba buddy and focus on that. It looks like another thing worth its own visit! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to expand my dive site knowledge of the US more rather than always looking to international destinations to get underwater! (Not that they're better or worse, just that it's nice to appreciate things in one's own backyard too!)

Also, I'm looking up flights right now to Panama City. I don't need to visit friends in ATL when I can visit wrecks ;-)

I thought to roadtrip/drive but flying/renting a car is much cheaper and faster!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom