Golem Gear BP/W vs. DGX BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BaitBucket

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have noticed these two BP/W combos are similar in price and specs. What I want to know is if there is any difference in quality or any reason you guys would choose one or the other. I am leaning towards the golem gear because the wing seems nicer and most backplates are similar. What do you guys think?

You don't specify which combos you're looking at, but the smallest Golem wing I see listed has 35# of lift, which strikes me as pretty large for a single tank wing. While I've never had an issue with them, they don't have a good reputation for customer service, while DGX is excellent.

The advantage of the GG plate is the version that is a dogbone style (lighter for a non-skeletonized SS plate) and set up for very stable, low profile, single tank mounting without needing a seperate single tank adaptor or a wing with built in stabilizers.

Others have the dogbone style, but GG is the only currently, commercially available hard plate (that I'm aware of) that has the single tank mounting profile.

Note: I'm ignoring the Freedom Plate due to currently long and uncertain delay in availability.

Also, you can often mix and match wings and plates from different manufacturers without hssue. Occasionally, the cam-band slots may not match well with mounting hole locations. But post up and ask - someone may be diving that combo, or get the measurements from the manufacturers and compare.

@ResortDiver850 Called them up today, answered right away on a Sunday. Not to worried.

I assume you're talking about golem gear. Gg has great gear but horrible customer service. Unlike most online retailers, you never know if and when your gear will arrive. You may get Jakob on the phone today, but when you order your bp/w and he's back in Europe you never know how many months it'll take to get it. I'll by from gg when I have no choice. Otherwise I avoid them like the plague due to the long history of horrible customer care.

YMMV. I have done quite a bit of business with DGX and their customer service is excellent. That being said, I recently purchased a GG plate and it was shipped immediately with no issues. I know others have had issues with GG but my experience was exceptional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom