Is there anyone diving tiny doubles? Need some input.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arrived. Set. Now need to splash!
Where did you get it from and about how much if I may ask?

i posted this in the tiny bubbles thread but it’s an older thread. Hopefully I can get some input here.

I currently have a set of HP 120's I dive with. Since moving to doubles I really enjoy them and prefer the redundancy. I only dive singles now when we have students. As many have stated they can be quite cumbersome however for short shallow dives. Shallow meaning non tech dives. I spend a lot of time diving around 100-110 ft on solo dives. I am seriously considering a set of the Faber LP 50's. I do have some questions though if anyone is up for answering them. I work for a dive shop, as an DM/AI and boat captain. I do my own fills and VIP's so that is not an issue. what I do want to know is has anyone tried to transfill from AL80's? when we load the boat (no compressor on board) its no biggie for me to load the same two 80's I would be diving with for the day, but use them as a transfill from 1st to 2nd dive. I realize 1 80 would not give me a complete fill but would topping off from a 2nd 80 get me pretty close? Also diving a single AL80 with an AL backplate I need 16lbs, in a drysuit. with the 50's by just doing the math I am figuring I need 14lbs. I have 2 Al backplates. Both Mares XR. 1 is set up for singles, the other set up for mydouble 120's. I intend to just move the doubles wing and BP back and forth between the 120's and the 50's. That being said.... the doubleswing I have is the Mares XR 52#. I certainlydon't need that much lift for the 50's but, isthat going to be too big and create more dragand a taco effect, or will it be fine until I pick up the smaller 44# from Mares? Long post I know just looking for some insight before I pull the trigger.

CP...

Can't give you much help on small double setups under 80 cu ft HP steel cylinders...but how's this...probably one of the last fully operational vintage triple sets remaining...1800 PSI oxygen cylinders are from 1951...US Divers manifold is from 1957...reg is a fully updated two stage DA Aqua-Master...the drilled vintage Vegas dice were the perfect size for tank spacers...the cylinders re-hydro'd out perfectly...and are like new inside...total capacity is approx. 90 cu ft...

Since this picture was taken the original ''top tank band'' was located... polished and installed...

They trim nice...I use a ScubaPro Night-Hawk BCD and attach the adjusted down cam band to the center tank...

The DA Aqua-Master was completely rebuilt from parts through Bryan at...''Vintage Double Hose''

Dive Safe...

Warren
DSCF1002.JPG

So my original 72 plans fell thru due to one bottle of the matching pair failing a hydro. Just got a second matching pair of 72's and sent them out. I also have 46's now too with narrow bands, may use them as bailout bottles for deeper surface dives. Who knows

Just a report update. Anyone looking to get into a set of tiny doubles..... DO IT!!! I now have 26 dives in my 50’s in just under a month. Absolutely awesome!!! Easily filled tranfilling between dives. Warning tho.... I have been diving them so much I ended up getting my own compressor. I got the Max-air 35. Now I can do my own fills at home (I live on the lake). So I fill my own tanks during surface intervals. Getting a dive in almost every morning before work. Some days 2-3 dives in them.

Absolutely worth every penny invested for the tiny doubles. Using the 120’s for tech dives and the mini’s for rec dives. Far better then diving singles. Just my opinion. Thank you all for your help in the decision making process and advice on setting up the mini’s

I know it's an old thread, but I was curious about how to effectively transfill these cylinders. I've got a 7L faber twinset that I'd bought for the wife, and wanted to put them to use. Assuming I get the transfill whip, what size cylinder do you fill from? Don't the cylinders just end up half filled?

I know it's an old thread, but I was curious about how to effectively transfill these cylinders. I've got a 7L faber twinset that I'd bought for the wife, and wanted to put them to use. Assuming I get the transfill whip, what size cylinder do you fill from? Don't the cylinders just end up half filled?

You fill them like any other set of doubles. You're dealing with 14L worth of gas, just do your math accordingly.

You fill them like any other set of doubles. You're dealing with 14L worth of gas, just do your math accordingly.

I did, just curious if I was missing something. If I assume that we come out of dive 1 with 70bar left, and I transfill from a 15L filled to 300bar, I'm only going to get about 180bar in the twinset. I think.

I just got me 2 pairs of AGA 324, double 4liter at 300bar.

Just ned to splash them when i comeback Home.

Back
Top Bottom