What log book to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both paper and cloud-based dive logs.

Paper

- Stamps, stamps, stamps... you have a place to get your dive shop stamp.
- You get your instructor or guide name and signature, sometimes stamp too.
- Quicker to jot down notes about the dive without the need for internet service.

Cloud

- More detailed dive info from your dive computer, like dive profile curves.
- Maps when GPS location is recorded.
- Air consumption calculations.
- Nitrogen load calculations.
- Easy way to generate stats, like number of hours spent underwater to date.

One time, I was diving in Koh Lanta and one of the instructors looked very familiar. It turned out that she had been working in Okinawa before and she had guided the group I was in... three years prior. My paper dive log had her signature to prove it!

Besides the usual stuff about the dive, I write down what kind of wetsuit, or lack of, I'm wearing, amount of weight, and type of tank. I found this info useful so that I know exactly how much weight to ask for, most of the time.

Thanks for all of these replies they are really helpful.

Decide whether you're getting a dive computer that logs your dives, an if it's air-integrated, in which case dive time in & out, duration, max. and average depth, SAC rate and minimum water temp. will likely be logged for you.

Decide whether your main dive log will be on your computer.

If the above are true, you may not have to log all that much, and a water resistant note pad like the Rite in the Rain pads I use may fill the dive; record date, dive # and dive site, guide, buddy name if any (often 'group'), boat Captain and whatever details you'd like to add later.

If you're paper log all the way, your answer will be different.
I'm most likely just getting a beginner computer in the $300 range and right now I'm leaning towards a Suunto Zoop Novo. To start I'm not really interested in having one that keeps track of air and stuff on the computer as I know that those are a lot more expensive than what I'm looking for. I'd maybe splurge on a computer but the ones I saw with the air tracking were significantly more. I've already spent more on dive stuff than I expected lol. I didn't even need new fins but I bought them too because I like new stuff and those with the booties were like $200. Then I bought a rash guard, and now I am going to buy a wetsuit too. I didn't really expect to buy any of these lol. And I haven't even done my first dive (well after the class - I've dove 2 times prior though).

I am aware that you can get stamps/signatures and stuff like that. Other than it being cool and having it for your own record, does it really mean anything more than that? I guess it can mean that your logs aren't forged, so it's proof that you did dive there, in case you were ever "audited" or something.

EDIT:

I was looking at this log book here because I like how compact it is and it doesn't have a lot of BS stuff on there that I wouldn't be filling out probably.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P2Z8AU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&smid=A138GYT3Y3DZXX

My progression went this way:

My OW course (way back) provided a "PADI Diver's Log and Training Record" booklet. In it the instructor signed the appropriate section after module were completed. I took the book to Grand Cayman when I did my checkout dives to complete the OW certification, of which the dive op instructor signed off on each of the dives after we recorded the dive info. I used the logbook after that to record all my dives until it was filled, maybe 40 dives. QUESTION: Don't OW courses provide a logbook any longer or is it all sheets of paper and online?

I bought a water resistant, zippered case to enclose the booklet and add more pages after the booklet was filled. It also had some pockets that could hold c-cards, pen, tables, keys, etc... Sometimes carried the case in my dive bag onto the boat, but found I wasn't taking the time to fill it in between dives, although I usually got it out after the boat was back to get it signed and a stamp if the dive op had one. Eventually I quit carrying it, filling it in only after I got back to the room where I was staying (yeah, Im a vacation diver.)

As time went on I quit taking the logbook on trips as I progressed to a digital logbook that I still manually input the dive data. Fortunately the digital logbook I started with allowed me to download data from my dive computer once I bought one. I still carry a couple of blank paper pages when I dive just in case something were to go wrong with my computer otherwise I'd forget all of the info.

Sorry this didn't directly answer the question, but there are, as you are finding, many options. You will figure it out. Have fun recording dives whichever way you go about it.

I guess it can mean that your logs aren't forged, so it's proof that you did dive there, in case you were ever "audited" or something.

You got this post in before I finished my previous one. Stamps don't really mean anything. They are fun to collect if the dive op has a neat' stamp. Most ops I've been in let you stamp your own book.

I keep a log book:
1. for my memory
2. if the boat wants to verify you have dove lately...... if you have a master diver card they dont even ask for more. Its the OW's that dive once a year on winter vacation.
3. vital records like course completion information. dive shop or boat operator information.
4. normal records like problems encountered and what done to fix or a shopping list prior to the next dive weekend. like reg hose leaking. low computer battery. compass interference in the NE corner of lake. weighting changes made and WHY.

I used the PADI log book for a long time and found that to be adequate. I switched to log sheets that I was able to download from the net because I was able to record more information about each dive. If you plan on getting your master diver rating keep a log through 50 dives as this is what PADI and SSI require. When I applied for my master diver rating the shop made a copy of my 77th logged dive and sent that to PADI. If you plan on getting solo certified you'll need 100 logged dives. I had to show the instructor my log book to prove I had at least 100 dives. Give any open dives a dive number. I recorded pool dives but did not give them a number. I recorded pool dives because of information that was important to me, i.e. equipment modifications, skills I was practising, etc.

I use the standard paper "loose leaf" binder they sell at the shop and bought the PADI "cover" for it. Trident pages, and bought a lot of refills--guess you could just copy them.
I never bring it on a boat or near water. I have pencil & paper in a jar to record my data then transfer it to the book. On shore, I can get the book signed, if with a buddy.
I Xerox each page and put those in the house's "firebox", so my logs can never be lost.

I use a regular spriral bound notebook... at the end of the day, the logging your dives is a personal experience for you. Use whatever pleases you. there is no need to spend $$ on a "dive log". Anything that can be written on will do fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom