Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefCI looks really cool. The lack of AC would give me pause, too. I don't really need it during the day but man, it's hard to sleep at night without it (personal experience out in the jungle). Hopefully they have some big box fans.
Btw, you probably don't want to spend any time more than you have to in Belize City. It's pretty rough, not a tourist town like San Miguel.
ReefCI: out on the island there is usually a breeze. I didn’t find the lack of A/C an issue, but once back on the mainland I totally agree.

Belize City: second that it isn’t somewhere you want to hang around.

We usually take a short trip to Cozumel in November. It comprises of five days on the island with three days of diving, with three or four dives per day. Since SW is flying into Belize City for about the same price as Cancun, I was wondering if a trip of that time frame and dive schedule is feasible. If so, what are the easier to reach islands that have good diving?
We did two cruise dives with Hugh Parkey's a number of years back-which were very nice-but they don't seem to have a website anymore. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Check our thread: Why Not Ambergris?

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

How do the puddle jumpers deal with the excessive baggage that most divers bring? For dive trips, wife and I each have a traditional carry on, back pack, and 50 lb large suitcase that gets checked. So about 150 lbs of luggage for the two of us.

How do the puddle jumpers deal with the excessive baggage that most divers bring? For dive trips, wife and I each have a traditional carry on, back pack, and 50 lb large suitcase that gets checked. So about 150 lbs of luggage for the two of us.

We travel almost identically, and when we flew Tropic Air this past May, they were able to accommodate all three of our bags. Can't say anything about the other air line that serves the island.

In contrast to their websites stated policies about weight limits, it shouldn't be an issue. I've flown both Maya and Tropic a number of times with my scuba gear. They'll also make you check your roller carry-on bags and probably your backpacks as well because there's no room in the passenger compartment for them. A typical flight will have you packed in like sardines. The only thing I get to carry on is my satchel bag.

never had an issue with overweight luggage regarding puddle jumpers from Belize City to Ambergris. Personally doing the bag drag from Belize airport to ferry dock is more of a hassle to me, plus longer. pricewise, honestly have never been able to do Belize for as cheap as I could do PDC and COZ factoring in puddle jumper flights, food, lodging and dive costs, but it's not terribly more expensive. did all my diving on the very north end of ambergris at bacalar chico but enjoyed it immensely, still going back to Mexico for next trip though

Regarding ReefCI -
I just returned from my Belize trip. I spent the first couple of weeks at ReefCI and as promised I will share my experience.

Overall I had an amazing experience. I really learned a lot while I was there from the marine biologists and found the activities fun and rewarding, especially spearing, dissecting, fileting, and eating the Lionfish. They were also very accommodating of me on at least some of the dives to really concentrate on photography. The diving was good but not great.

The accommodations are as expected very basic. No AC but with the breeze and fans I usually slept quite well. There was just a couple of nights where the wind switch directions and I got a little warm, but not terrible. Food was excellent and we all ate family style. If someone was a picky eater you might have a problem as there really is no option except what they made that day, but there wasn't a signal dish that I did not like, and most of them I loved. Normally they have internet access in the evenings but it was down for the two weeks I was there.

What really brought this experience to another level for me was the people. In the two weeks I was there every single visitor including myself were solo travelers, and all very like-minded. We really clicked as a group and had a really amazing time together. With no internet was actually talked, played cards, and just genuinely connected. The staff is also made up of some really great people who also ran everything very effectively overall.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind being off the grid for awhile. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I know I will treasure the memories I made there for a long time to come.

Regarding ReefCI -
I just returned from my Belize trip. I spent the first couple of weeks at ReefCI and as promised I will share my experience.

Overall I had an amazing experience. I really learned a lot while I was there from the marine biologists and found the activities fun and rewarding, especially spearing, dissecting, fileting, and eating the Lionfish. They were also very accommodating of me on at least some of the dives to really concentrate on photography. The diving was good but not great.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind being off the grid for awhile. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I know I will treasure the memories I made there for a long time to come.

Thanks for the report. A couple of questions: Is ReefCI now based in Placencia? I think they moved there from Punta Gorda a few years ago. Did you stay on a caye or somewhere on the mainland? Do you remember the dive sites? Were they around Placencia or further south? I've never dived south of Placencia and would like to give it a go someday.

Your report will make Edward very happy as he's a big fan of ReefCI. I'm not sure I could ever talk my wife into staying somewhere without air conditioning but one of these years when I go solo I'd like to dive with ReefCI. I really admire the work they do.

When we stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge years ago, the only internet access was an old Windows machine at the office. Guests were charged a $1 a minute to use it. I never logged on during the two weeks we were there, but one of the guests was surfing the web every night. As it turned out, he didn't know he would be charged for it and was pretty irate when he was given a bill for a couple of hundred bucks at the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom