Reduced Systemic Inflammation Reduce Likelihood of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing there hasn't been any work on this but I'm curious of thoughts on whether diets that reduce systemic inflammation would be expected to reduce the inflammation experienced post dive and possibly increase one's tolerance of decompression stress before resulting in decompression sickness.

The diets I'm tracking that purportedly reduce systemic inflammation are typically very low carbohydrate diets (e.g., Atkins, ketogenic, some forms of paleo). I guess the real question is if these types of diets could work against the acute and chronic impacts of multiple decompressions.

I'm guessing there hasn't been any work on this but....
Oh there's been tons of work on diet and inflamation, including diving. Do you like dark chocolate ? :)

Dr. Bruce Derrick at Duke is doing some work around the relationship between a ketogenic diet and risk for O2 toxicity, I'm not aware with anything around DCS though.

Best regards,
DDM

@Duke Dive Medicine

Do you know anything about the studies that indicates that Turmeric causes false-positives on lab tests used to measure inflammation? I have only read media-interpreted consumer articles. Example: Turmeric May Be Tasty, But It’s Not a Cure-All

Is there a method to directly measure inflammation or is it implied by the presence of secondary markers of some kind?

@Duke Dive Medicine

Do you know anything about the studies that indicates that Turmeric causes false-positives on lab tests used to measure inflammation? I have only read media-interpreted consumer articles. Example: Turmeric May Be Tasty, But It’s Not a Cure-All

Is there a method to directly measure inflammation or is it implied by the presence of secondary markers of some kind?

There are a couple of tests for inflammation that I know of (c-reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate) but this is reaching the limits of my scope of knowledge. I looked at PubMed and found a couple of articles:

Curcuminoids are supposedly the active ingredient in turmeric and this suggests that they can reduce the level of circulating c-reactive protein, which is a commonly used marker for inflammation:
Are curcuminoids effective C-reactive protein-lowering agents in clinical practice? Evidence from a meta-analysis. - PubMed - NCBI

A couple on its effects on several things including reducing inflammatory markers in rat polycystic ovary syndrome:
Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Curcumin on Insulin Resistance Index, Levels of Interleukin-6, C-Reactive Protein, and Liver Histology in Polycystic O... - PubMed - NCBI
The Effect of Curcumin on TNF-α, IL-6 and CRP Expression in a Model of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as an Inflammation State. - PubMed - NCBI

This isn't advice for anyone else, but I personally swear by the stuff. I use it in a protein shake every morning and it's significantly reduced my joint pain.

Best regards,
DDM

This isn't advice for anyone else, but I personally swear by the stuff.

Just because it messes with the test(s) used for inflammation doesn't mean that there are no other effects... positive and negative. NOTHING is simple in biology. Guys like you must be doing something right though. I'm at about twice male life expectancy relative to the time of Christ and still diving. :)

My lovely bride was an oncology research nurse at UCSD and gave me a glimpse into the phenomenal complexity involved in human studies. I can't imagine what it is like now that the human genome is entering the equation.

Dr. Bruce Derrick at Duke is doing some work around the relationship between a ketogenic diet and risk for O2 toxicity, I'm not aware with anything around DCS though.

Best regards,
DDM

That would be really interesting too. Do you know if he has worked with Dr. D'Agostino? He's done work for the DoD to try and influence the onset of O2 toxicity in military divers as well as exogenous ketone usage for special operations forces during missions.

That would be really interesting too. Do you know if he has worked with Dr. D'Agostino? He's done work for the DoD to try and influence the onset of O2 toxicity in military divers as well as exogenous ketone usage for special operations forces during missions.

Yes, Dr. D'Agostino is is participating.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom