How unsafe was this intro dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the OP has now been answered.

But now, I wonder...

my friend dived to ....

Is it "dived, dove, or doved" or exactly what?

How do you know he was an instructor?

Check for the correct patches.

Looks like the OP has now been answered.

But now, I wonder...

Is it "dived, dove, or doved" or exactly what?

Check for the correct patches.

It is dove. If you see dove, and read bird, chocolate, or soap, you need to dive more!

It's English, if we eliminate the exceptions there will be no rules.

Reactions: Doc
Is it "dived, dove, or doved" or exactly what?.

Depends on where you are and the words preceding it. As example, in NW Florida, it would be "we done did dove it yesterday". Or maybe, " Weun's went and dove that last week".

I read that in Europe it's usually dove, while in N.A. it's dived. I've always said dived. I believe according to the dictionary both are correct.

There's a similar problem with "hanged" versus "hung". Both are past tense forms of "to hang", but the former usually applies to an execution, and latter to, err, something else.

Yeah Slim, the Marshall did a good job-- he's well hanged.

About 10 years ago a person I know and his son went on a try dive on holiday, Cyprus I think but certainly somewhere in that part of the Mediterranean. They were fitted with the gear, given about 5 minutes instruction standing chest deep in the sea then told to follow the instructor (or whoever he was). The father ran completely out of air at 13m and made a panicked ascent to the surface. He was very upset, even traumatized by the experience and has never attempted diving since. I also know of a group of teenagers with no previous dive experience and only a few minutes instruction being taken down to 15 to 20m on first dive, this was in Gibraltar.

About 10 years ago a person I know and his son went on a try dive on holiday, Cyprus I think but certainly somewhere in that part of the Mediterranean. They were fitted with the gear, given about 5 minutes instruction standing chest deep in the sea then told to follow the instructor (or whoever he was). The father ran completely out of air at 13m and made a panicked ascent to the surface. He was very upset, even traumatized by the experience and has never attempted diving since. I also know of a group of teenagers with no previous dive experience and only a few minutes instruction being taken down to 15 to 20m on first dive, this was in Gibraltar.
Yeah, that can be the sort of problems associated with DSDs, or "Try Dives". I've heard a lot of interesting stories as well, mostly from people who had friends who did the DSD. Instructor-student ratios in violation of standards seems to be a typical problem. Though, I have my doubts about the standards themselves, such as 4:1 or even 2:1. There are several threads on DSDs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom