Should I try a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I had no idea this thread would go in this direction whoops. I'm thankful for the help I got on the subject and I'll ask again when I apply for my advanced divers lisence, but wow this was a really mixed threat

While I dove rebreathers in the Navy, I am a relatively new recreational rebreather diver. One thing that I can say emphatically is that rebreathers are a huge commitment, both in time and money. It is not just in the initial training, it is ongoing. They take a certain mindset to dive safely and there are many out there who do not have it. The divers who acknowledge that I give the greatest respect to, it is not for everyone. If you go through the training you will learn that. I have seen divers who have the mindset for rebreather diving with a very few dives and I have seen people who have hundreds of dives that should never be near one. Try to find a dive shop or independent instructor that specializes in that form of diving and let them know that is your goal. If they treat you like a future diving buddy who needs more training, great. If not, keep looking. There are a lot of great choices out there.

Unfortunately thats the nature of the beast here on ScubaBoard. its important to remember that there are MANY divers who just go out, dive occasionally, have fun and thats It.

Here we have people who care enough about diving to go on a forum about it even when they aren't diving. Our users are passionate about the sport and have devoted more than the average amount of time learning and reading up about it. So have you, even just by posting this question.

Passionate people, wonderful people (except that guy, you know who you are!) and all very human. We get things wrong, we differ in opinion, we display all the good and bad attributes of humanity. Mostly though, we care for each other, even if it is in a weirdly dysfunctional way (you gonna die!!!!!!)

My advice, worth exactly what you paid for it? Read the answers, listen to the feelings behind the words and then make up your own mind. Talk to people, IRL and online, and if you need us we are here. BS attitudes, love and all.

Oh and if you DON'T try a rebreather you will die! Or something, I don't remember....

I may be biased, here is me today taking a guy on his first OW dive on his rebreather, I don't think he has stopped smiling yet....

View attachment 489049 View attachment 489050

I hate hijacking a thread but as a fellow Poseidon diver I have to ask, "What stand are you guys using with your rigs?"
Pros vs Cons?

I hate hijacking a thread but as a fellow Poseidon diver I have to ask, "What stand are you guys using with your rigs?"
Pros vs Cons?
www.ccrstand.com

Makes setting up much easier especially with inverted tanks. I clip my bailout tails to it as well

Pros vs Cons?

Hi ND5342. As long as this thread has meandered a bit, here’s a further diversion for you.

Here on SB there’s a poster with the user name Dsix36. I believe that he’s made stands for several different CCRs in the past. He recently beta tested stands for Megs and Pathfinders and is currently accepting orders for these. I do not know if he will fabricate a stand for your Poseidon, but you might shoot him a private message and enquire.

I’ve not done any business with the man behind ccrstand.com, but think he’s located in Poland. I have no idea what hoops, if any, you’ll have to jump thru to import one of these stands, and imagine that shipping charges will not be cheap. Dsix36 is located in South Florida and shipping costs from him are $25.00 in the continental US.

Dsix36 is the OP of a thread regarding the sale of a Dive Rite Optima that’s on the first page of the “Trips and Marketplace for Rebreathers” sub-forum. You can send him a PM by opening that thread and clicking on his rather colorful avatar.

Hi ND5342. As long as this thread has meandered a bit, here’s a further diversion for you.

Here on SB there’s a poster with the user name Dsix36. I believe that he’s made stands for several different CCRs in the past. He recently beta tested stands for Megs and Pathfinders and is currently accepting orders for these. I do not know if he will fabricate a stand for your Poseidon, but you might shoot him a private message and enquire.

I’ve not done any business with the man behind ccrstand.com, but think he’s located in Poland. I have no idea what hoops, if any, you’ll have to jump thru to import one of these stands, and imagine that shipping charges will not be cheap. Dsix36 is located in South Florida and shipping costs from him are $25.00 in the continental US.

Dsix36 is the OP of a thread regarding the sale of a Dive Rite Optima that’s on the first page of the “Trips and Marketplace for Rebreathers” sub-forum. You can send him a PM by opening that thread and clicking on his rather colorful avatar.

Thanks for the info. I am in the research phase right now trying to get info and feed back for when I decide to invert my Poseidon rebreather.

I've seen rebreathers in my local dive shop, and was asked about them on the survey for this site, but I've never used one before, I mainly use the standard regulator system with a yoke valve. Would a rebreather make my dives last longer or could I go deeper? Would it be easier to use than a regulator? What level of certification do I need in order to use one? And would I need to know how to use one if I'm going into the Marine Biology field?
Thanks in advance!

I should have reread your original post before posting mine. I work and dive with two local universities up here in the Northeast. There are many marine biologists here but I only know a couple who dive rebreathers. One of the universities, University of Connecticut, has rebreathers for student and professor use but hardly anyone takes advantage of them.

Another recommendation is to go to Beneath the Sea in New Jersey in March 2019 for their career day which I think is on a Friday. UCONN usually has a booth set up with the rebreathers they use and there are other schools, organizations that can talk to you about your plans.

Marine Careers

Do you sidemount/ bungee your bailouts? Do those attachment points work for that?
Yes I side mount the bailout. The attachment points are in much the same place as the door handles on a SM buttplate.

One that you don't want to try, Hollis Explorer. It is a dead rebreather. That is no support, abandoned by the manufacturer. There are plenty of people still wanting to sell (dump) there units. One line I remember most about them, "all of the downfalls of a rebreather with none of the benefits"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom