Looking for a new mask - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went through 16 masks before 17 was the charm. It was given to me.

Welcome to Scubaboard Pyratess. If you have access best go to a shop and try them in person. That's a cute picture.:)

Hello all,

Glad to be a part of the board here! I would like to ask for your recommendations on a new scuba mask. I last bought a mask (a basic BARE whatever) back in 2010 when I got certified and, while it doesn't leak, it has recently occurred to me that it's not comfortable and it's definitely not the best fit for my face. Whenever I take it off there are mask lines all over my face, but if I loosen the straps to avoid this then it leaks.

I have insanely high/large cheekbones. I mean man, talk about chubby cheeks. In my current mask, they kind of get squished half into my mask and half out of my mask, which obviously isn't comfortable. Here is a super unflattering picture where you can very clearly see that my cheekbones are squished up into my eyes:

View attachment 489483

And I guess here is a pic so you can see what my face shape is like:

View attachment 489484

Are there any masks out there that would better compensate for my cheekbones so I could dive more comfortably? Hilarious as it is having my own cheekbones impair my vision, it would be nice to be able to see better and not have my face feel all squashed after diving.

Any other info you might need for whatever reason:
Budget: $100 or lower (prefer lower but whatever works)
Diving level: Advanced open water / 60+ dives completed
Diving type: Recreational, typically deeper water shelf dives around 85 ft depth

Thank you in advance for any of you who have recommendations for masks that might solve my problem!!
Just to let you know, your certification level doesn’t matter when choosing a mask, not sure why you put that in there.
You have to try on masks if you have an unusually shaped face (no offense obviously) because most will not fit you. That being said, Atomic masks look big. You can also get custom masks made if you’re willing to pay for it.

Please take a look at my MAKO Minimus mask, It is guaranteed to fit you comfortably and not leak - OR I will take it back on my dime.

Thanks

Dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2T.jpg

Go someplace with a large inventory and try as many as you can. That being said I personally have had very good luck with Tusa masks and my current mask of choice is the Tusa Freedom One

Every time I see a new mask in a dive shop I try it on. I've found some masks that fit really well over the last 17 years. A few weeks ago I finally found THE mask. I have never had a mask that fits as nicely. So it is really just a lot of trial and error.

When I'm working with students or members of my dive club I always point out that my mask strap is there just in case. I can literally pull my mask 2 inches from my face because the strap is that loose. When I test masks I will not put on the strap. If it does not stay without the strap then it is no good.

Some people find the masks leak more if they are too tight. If tightening a mask works for you then you are lucky.

I have an extra large nose, semi bushy mustache, and medium cheek bones. I dive the scubapro frameless. While it is just a bit over your price range, this mask was way more comfortable than the holistic, dgx, AL, and Trinidad masks that I've tried. Super supple skirts, double skirted, fits my beak well, all around enjoyable to dive.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! I will give the DGX a try since it's gotten a few votes now.:)

Good thinking. If it doesn't work for you, you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Mine (backup) fits more to the outside of my face (closer to the ears) than my Atomic frameless. That might work to your advantage.

Every time I see a new mask in a dive shop I try it on. I've found some masks that fit really well over the last 17 years.

I thought they all smelled about the same, now that explains it ! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom