British Instructor feared drowned in Thai scuba-diving incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was my friend I was there. Daily mail got it all wrong. I am not David powley I am David Polley, they said I was 42 I was 29 at the time. No volcanoes in Thailand it was on an inland lake called song hong. Police didn’t search for him, they used me to conduct a search as they had no police divers qualified to dive on trimix to 100 m and no one who can look in a cave. Police used me to look for him for 3 days I didn’t find him. 3 years late I did a circuit around the cave at 90 m and cave across his skeleton and ccr. I bought a body bag to recover the skeleton

Was my friend I was there. Daily mail got it all wrong. I am not David powley I am David Polley, they said I was 42 I was 29 at the time. No volcanoes in Thailand it was on an inland lake called song hong. Police didn’t search for him, they used me to conduct a search as they had no police divers qualified to dive on trimix to 100 m and no one who can look in a cave. Police used me to look for him for 3 days I didn’t find him. 3 years late I did a circuit around the cave at 90 m and cave across his skeleton and ccr. I bought a body bag to recover the skeleton

RIP Peter McCarthy.

Thanks for the update, David. What did you think happen?

According to @jamiemac
....Although the site is deep, 130m deep, no deep dives were planned . Peter was showing Dave the entrance to a passage way in 30m, (100ft) when they became separated and Peter failed to surface. No other divers were in the water.

Was there guideline to lead you back to the entrance? Visibility just went to zero due to silting out?

Thank you for the recovery.

So sorry! Thanks!

Thank you David for the recovery and clarification.

Hell of a shock and very brave of you to do the work for several days to try to find him. I know why you did it , bring him back but it was dangerous work. I hope finding your dive partner gave you some closure and peace after you finished it all and after all the years. Be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom