Low Lumen night light suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Snoweman, looks like they have a push button tail switch now. I’ll have to give that one a closer look.
@JackD342, I had forgotten about the Tovatec lights. I was intrigued by the adjustable beam aspect when I was getting back into diving a couple of years ago. Thanks for the lead.
Look close, I think newer models have a recessed push button switch instead of the slider. If your light spends time in a pocket, you might prefer that.

My last night dive, I took a video light and a spot. The video light is great just because of lighting up so much more at one time. 1000 lumens spread out over 100 degrees or so is not that bright. Then, the spot to turn on when I want to see something specific that is further away. Or, of course, if I need to signal.

I have a couple of Evolva D02 video lights that I use. They are somewhere around 1000-ish lumens on high, but adjustable to lower brightness settings. Plus it has a red light mode, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolva-Technology-Underwater-Photography-Flashlight/dp/B01FD3QQGK/

$66. Hard to beat.

There have been some other posts here on SB about these lights and, in particular, the magnetic switch crapping out after not too long. I reckon it's something to watch out for, and a reason to give them a really good fresh water rinse and soak after any salt water diving. But, I've had mine for a year or more now and they still are okay.

Consider a light with a red light mode for use down near the reef. I used one during the night dives I did at Turks & Caicos. Could see well enough and didn't startle the aquatic life. Can easily switch to the brighter modes when needed for signaling or for the swim to/from the boat/reef.

@inka, do you use the Orca Torch? Curious if it’s a wide or narrow beam.

@stuartv, you’ve peaked my interest with the Evolva (though they really should consider a company name change), especially the red light. Have you used that function, and, if so, how did you like it? (I was wondering if you would way in on this discussion. Torches seem to be your thing, and your always a source of good info.)

@Aviyes, I wasn’t sure if fish reacted to red light that way or not. We used to put a red bandanna over our headlamps when backpacking so that we could see wildlife at night without spooking them. Seems like your experience with red light was the underwater equivalent. More reason to look at the Evolva.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Erik

Hi Erik, I'm sorry but I have not actually used the red light at all.

But, there is a whole thread (IIRC) for those Evolva lights. If you can find it and post there, you might get some useful info.

Orca Torch? Curious if it’s a wide or narrow beam.

The 500+ is a wide beam, like a video light. There is a slight hotspot but not nearly like the signalling varieties

I wasn’t sure if fish reacted to red light that way or not.

I find that MOST fish etc ignore red completely, the cephalopods seem to notice it but don't react as adversely as they do to white light.

I do the same as Stuart. At night in the Caribbean, I use a "flood" as my primary light but of course I have a spot on me if needed. It really is enough light unless you are trying to look at stuff far away. Whenever I use my spot, I notice animals try to hide. They never try to hide from the flood. I sometimes wonder if they even notice the flood. I see too many fish blinded by spots and then leave their night hiding spot or get chomped. Spots create unnatural behavior that may result in death of the animal.

I use the HOG Morph lights. I have them in spot and flood. They have a high, medium, low and also a strobe and SOS function. I am usually using them on medium during a dive.

Thanks for all the input. I pulled the trigger on the Evolva. Man, until you light up a wide beam torch, you just don’t realize how narrow your others are. My other 2 lights will put a spot on the 11 foot wall in my living room from 6’ away. This thing lights up the whole wall plus some! I think between the red light and the low setting on white this will be a good tropics night dive light. I also went ahead and bought the Mako mini 630, which turns out to be the Orcatorch D560. Looks like a good “stash in a pocket” light. Plus, I had to pick up a couple of extra items to get the free ship when I bought the Mako Minimus mask that @stuartv, and a few others, have raved about.

Let you know how things work out when I get back from GC in late Jan.

Thanks again, everyone,
Erik

Cool. And that Mako Minimus mask has become my #1 daily driver of a mask...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom