Looking for a new mask - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full Face Mask, but they are expensive!!!

Do you need prescription lenses .. cause if so they your options are dramatically reduced ... even more so if you are actually blind like i am ...

I think in the end I had one choice for a company that made a mask and had stock glass to fit my prescription or i had to splash out on custom Lenses. soooo i bought a Aqualung - look and i have to say its amazing ..

the only thing to think about in my opinion across brands is a clear skirt or black/solid some people get claustrophobic with the lack of peripheral in a black skirt .. i have no peripheral vision most of the time anyway so that wast an issue for me.

but seriously you need to try a load of different ones on and see what fits you best cause im damn sure your face shape is different form most of the rest of us ... mos decent dive shops will sell a wide range and they will help you .. some even let you test them in the pool .. my shop doesn't have a pool but they will let you return it after first dive if it doesn't work well for you

Hi Pyratess
Like others have already said, you have to try them on. Some dive shops will let you pool test a mask.
You shouldn't have to make a mask so tight it squeezes your face and leaves marks. A properly fitting mask requires minimum strap tension to seal.

You should be able to hold a well fitting mask to your face by gently inhaling, no straps. A dive shop will typically have 15-20 different styles. The one that fits is the one you buy, just like shoes. $100 is a generous budget, you should find something you like.

Oh, and stop smiling, you’re just making the apple cheeks worse:wink:

Just want to reiterate how important the above advice is along with adding a step - relax.
Relax your eyes, your nose, your ears, your mouth and your face muscles....and then don't smile! Smiling (although at times impossible to subdue) will crack a good seal every time.
Once your face is relaxed, a gentle inhale should easily and comfortably hold your mask in place.

Best wishes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom