New dromedary bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Warren
It seems to me, and with all my due respect, that you cannot extrapolate problem with the "green hoses" to bladers.
Knowing how wings are made, I am sure the MSR bag is as, if not more, stronger than any wing bladers.
There are quite a few people also diving "pvc pipes rb" to extreme depth :)
Have a good day

Hi Warren
It seems to me, and with all my due respect, that you cannot extrapolate problem with the "green hoses" to bladers.
Knowing how wings are made, I am sure the MSR bag is as, if not more, stronger than any wing bladers.
There are quite a few people also diving "pvc pipes rb" to extreme depth :)
Have a good day

Jale...

I agree totally...there's all kinds of people in the dive industry as well as other industries using all kinds of bits and pieces for many unintended purposes...

One has to decide whether or not you want to be a member of this group...

I respectfully decline...for reasons that seem important to me...primarily ''my life''...

There's already enough ways to become irreparably injured or killed in this sport...without unnecessarily making the list any longer...

Or by making makeshift suggestions to someone who is unknowing...but willing to try anything...leave engineering to the professionals...

Please feel free to proceed as you see fit...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Hi Warren
Right but to believe that all parts of your diving equipment has been made on purpose for diving is not correct.
Diving hoses are other industries hoses repurposed for diving.
Bladders manufactoring has nothing specific about diving but the shapes.
Further more, you are a rb diver and are using o2 cells which, by construction design, have nothing to do in machine like that ; or are you using a psccr? :)

Hi Warren
Right but to believe that all parts of your diving equipment has been made on purpose for diving is not correct.
Diving hoses are other industries hoses repurposed for diving.
Bladders manufactoring has nothing specific about diving but the shapes.
Further more, you are a rb diver and are using o2 cells which, by construction design, have nothing to do in machine like that ; or are you using a psccr? :)

Jale...

Using your philosophy as an example...without being critical...

Would you buy your hoses and hose fittings at an auto parts store...or buy BCD components from a hiking or camping store...or use any O2 sensor in any rebreather simply because its an O2 sensor...therefore it should work...or use a gas vapor regulator as a scuba regulator because that's how Cousteau and Gagnan started out...

I hardly think so...and surely hope not...

We're none of us ''pioneers'' or ''inventors''...and ''tinkering'' should never be confused with ''inventing''...I think the common term used to describe us is ''recreational scuba divers''...

This is also the primary reason why training agencies do not and hopefully never will offer certification courses for ''homemade rebreathers''...and also why on any forum...a non rebreather certified...or even worse a non diver certified person should never be offered suggestions as to how to cobble together a home made rebreather...because at the end of their project on road to disaster...they will try to see if their contraption works...

Dive Safe...and do your dive gear shopping at dive shops...if they haven't got it...or can't get it...you do don't need it...

Warren...

Warren, without being critical, I don't think the DIY forum is for you.

Couv...

Your probably right...

Having said that...I'm a great believer in doing things ''yourself''...I wouldn't have the knowledge I have...if I didn't do things myself...

And having said that...there is a broad horizon between gaining knowledge and doing things the right way with the right equipment...tools...supplies...as opposed to cobbling together old junk...using other old junk...or unintended use sub-components and then passing off this tinkering advise to another unknowing individual...who may be willing to try anything...this isn't DIY...

Being an instructor...I'm sure your primary objective is to do things ''the right way''

Dive Safe...

Warren

"to cobbling together old junk...using other old junk...or unintended use sub-components"
For some of us that is the definition of DIY:)

Warren,

After reading your postings here and in a couple of other threads I see a common theme. "Regulator/dive equipment maintenance and repair is too complicated for non-professionals." If you really believe that, then perhaps you should not participate in this forum (and probably not be working on other peoples equipment either.)

Warren,

After reading your postings here and in a couple of other threads I see a common theme. "Regulator/dive equipment maintenance and repair is too complicated for non-professionals." If you really believe that, then perhaps you should not participate in this forum (and probably not be working on other peoples equipment either.)

couv...

You're missing the point of what you consider being the ''common theme''...or of what is and is not ''professional''...nothing to do with professional...but everything to do with the dissemination of bad advise...

What happened to...''whatever is worth doing...is worth doing right''...

If you had a son...or daughter...would you replace the ''master-link'' on their bicycle chain with a piece of bent coat-hanger wire and send them off to ride their bicycles in traffic...especially today's traffic...this is DIY...not a good practice though...or one that you should be imparting on anyone else...I can only pray...that you would go to a bicycle shop...buy a proper replacement ''master link and clip'' and either properly install the ''correct components'' yourself...DIY...or have a qualified person install them for you...

Ask a millwright or an auto mechanic about the problems and hazards involved when ''graded fasteners'' are replaced with ''ungraded hardware store fasteners''...

Don't even begin to say or think...''well that's different''...or I'm comparing ''apples to bananas''...because it isn't...and I'm not...

From one professional to another...''Please proceed as you see fit''...

Thankfully to all...I'm sure...I'm not the moderator on the DIY thread...if I was...these ''bad advise'' posts would never see the light of day...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Folks...
[snip]

A ''O'' pressure water bag designed to be used to hold drinking water for camping and hiking...and a hose manufactured for the purpose of transferring fluids...would not have undergone the same testing criteria as products intended to be used for Scuba diving...considering nothing else but all the pressures involved...

Warren
What pressures do you think the bladder is going to see? I help you out, the pressure differential is the important factor and that is quite small ......

As for the testing criteria used: can you please list the standards, bladders used for scuba are tested against?

“Fear doesn’t make you a safer diver”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom