Doc's Pro Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article JackD links to is well worth reading. That said, I have tiny eustachian tubes, and after open water my ears were full of water for 48 hours, despite several applications of ear drying drops. The Pro Plugs, for me, make equalization much easier and dramatically reduce the after-dive fullness in my ears. I will dive without them, but it's much less pleasurable.
I interpret that article as saying the main risk is in cold water. But since it doesn't list likely non-risk situations, I can't be sure my interpretation is valid. Also, how cold is cold enough for the stated concern? It does not give any guidance.

The potential plugging problem is easy. Put them in your mouth and suck through the hole. Not open, fix it. They go into your ear better with a little saliva anyway. :p
Can't say I ever had one plug in probably 1200+ dives. OTOH, I know lots of people that have had outer ear infections, which these definitely help with. I've never had the cold water vertigo from lots of cold water in one ear. These entirely prevent that.

Basically they keep your ears from flooding. For cold water and surfer's ear (exostosis) this can be very useful, the main reason I use them. Since they do keep most of the water out of your ear, when properly fitted, this can be extremely helpful for outer ear infections on tropical vacations. I still use ear beer as an added precaution.
(note-on the Lembeh trip an extremely experience diver, dives almost every day in cold water, did not do ear beer or other precaution, got an outer ear infection, and missed about half the dives along with being miserable. That's an expensive mistake on so many levels.)

IMO, their claim to facilitate clearing is not viable. I see no help at all, nor any hindrance, but still consider them to be an extremely useful diving tool.

It sounds like you had a clearing problem, did some baurotrauma, and suffered the consequences of that. I'm not sure the Proplugs would have helped your particular problem.OTOH, they are cheap and properly used won't hurt you and can help. Why NOT try them. They've been around a long time and are a viable product.

What did the ENT say? What diagnosis, treatments, precautions, and advice they give you?
Yeah, that's why I have used them--keeping water from going DEEP into the ears. Some does get in. My hood does the same job, so I rarely use the plugs, but would recommend them.

Fmerkel,

I don't recall what his diagnoses was but he gave me some pills to open up the ear canal which worked just fine.

I remember years ago, before I was a diver, I got blood in my inner ear canal. I went to a ENT and he put what I would call a air nozzle up my nose. He shot a blast of air up my nose which open up the inner ear canal. Believe me it was a very strong blast of air. My whole face expanded. Immediately I could hear and feel the fluid draining.

I ask the recent ENT about it and he said its not done anymore because it can cause ear damage. Go figure...LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom