Regulator configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Belgium the attitude is a bit more "laissez fair" and while it is often recommended by folks to have a 2nd 1st stage, no body is enforcing it as a standard.

You are wrong there...

There are federations where its a obligation to have 2 first stages as dive leader. A isolator isn’t so a y valve is ok.

You are wrong there...

There are federations where its a obligation to have 2 first stages as dive leader. A isolator isn’t so a y valve is ok.

Perhaps if you are diving strictly LIFRAS or CMAS...but the all the sites that I have been too that are open to the general public of Belgian divers and some sites that are by invitation only have never required any specific gear configuration...The ROI usually states something similar to that one should dive in accordance with the principles of the federation/agency they belong...but nothing specific is impressed upon or enforced on divers as autonomous groups.

If I am still wrong, then every weekend for nearly the time I have been in Belgium (summer of 2012) I, and the multi-national crowd of divers I jump in the water with must be doing something wrong...along with many of the other divers I see blowing bubbles in the various sites around this country. Oh well.

-Z

If I am still wrong, then every weekend for nearly the time I have been in Belgium (summer of 2012) I, and the multi-national crowd of divers I jump in the water with must be doing something wrong...along with many of the other divers I see blowing bubbles in the various sites around this country. Oh well.

You did correct yourself, not wrong anymore :)

I’m going the redundant first stage route using a steel 12L with Y-Valve. Right hand connection my primary 2nd stage, bcd inflator hose and AI transponder.
On the lefthand connection the octopus with a slightly longer yellew miflex coming from the left and connected via a magnetic connector on the right hand side of thr bcd. the dry-suit inflator, and a 3 part console.
I prefer the 3 part console (spg, depth, and compass) as it gives me full info. I compare depth and heading at the same time and can compare it wit rhe picture in my head without shifting my view towards the computer at my right wrist.
The octopus left to right can be easy when donating, it is oriented the correct way.

Getting my first gear and working on the regulator configuration.

I was thinking of going with something similar to This configuration, but with the 2 regs reversed - I don't understand why they're using the long-hose regulator as the primary, since it would require the buddy who needs help to take the reg out of the other person's mouth, or have it donated. They can't just grab a clipped octo.

Wouldn't it be better for the diver to use the short-hose reg on the necklace as the primary and have the octo clipped in front as usual?

I was thinking of using a 22" hose to my primary on a necklace and a 40" octo under the arm and clipped in front.

Pretty new diver here (20 under my belt), so input on this or other configuration suggestions much appreciated!
I may get into tech diving, but for the foreseeable future, looking at single-tank recreational open water dives.
Thanks in advance!

Im a new diver at 30 dives, well 29 so far and I got a lightweight titanium with air2 , I have an air integrated computer so I got rid of two hoses. Just the regulator I use as the air 2 will be used by me if someone needs to share and the second obviously to the bcd.

Is this sheer idiocy? I have my compass and air on my A.I. computer so dont need an spg and dont need an octo anymore. If my computer malfunctions I am just going to surface anyway so it seems to me I dont need the two extra hoses. I like being light and streamlined. As little weight as possible always horizontal hands together in front. Trying to mimic experienced divers. Fake it till I make it .... by doing the right things lol

you're fine. Its all about how much risk you take on.

warm clear open water above 60 feet with a good buddy would be fine with that. As you do riskier dives you may want to change it up. Just stay within your own limits (i.e. dont dive to a more experienced buddy's level if you are uncomfortable) and mitigate additional risk accordingly.

warm clear open water above 60 feet with a good buddy would be fine with that. As you do riskier dives you may want to change it up. Just stay within your own limits (i.e. dont dive to a more experienced buddy's level if you are uncomfortable) and mitigate additional risk accordingly.

well I did get my AOW .....way way too soon at 18 dives so I plan on doing a few dives in feb 2019 up to rec limits. diving Coron with all the wrecks where other filipino dive communities call them the coron cowboys as they break all the rules. not good.... dont plan on going in any large wrecks without a line and extra tanks but they dont use all that safety stuff so I may do dives to deep wrecks and watch them go in without lines and wearing AL80s. No thanks ill be outside just fine.

I should also state im not one to panic. had a CO2 darc narc at 90 ft in monterey super cold water about 8 foot viz super hazy to 12 ft dark green water. had a reg I was given from friend that i had the yearly replacements done before i dove but it was shut down to minimum air without knowing. had a deepwater blackout luckily only a few seconds and luckily no laryngospasms which would have likely killed me. Long story short when i came to literally gulping seawater at 90 ft i put in reg and coughed long and hard into it on purpose and then slowly made way to 3 min stop at 15 ft.

i will not kill myself unless its due to air out .....as my filipina girlfriend would say

Sorry your story sounds a bit strange to me.
A Co2 narcosis? Do you mean a N2? If it realy is CO2 intoxication check your air supplier. The amount of co2 in compressed air is limited normally and not available in percentages being dangerous.
8ft or 2,5 mtr vis is the norm in many parts of the world. Define cold water? When I’m back home the water temp will be down to 7/8dgr C kast winter we dove 4dgr C water and sub zero temp above.
If your computer fails you will surface. How to keep to the 15ft safety stop. Your serious about it otherwise you won’t do it after being passed out and “filled” up on water during a dive. No time and no depth availabe when your comp brakes down.
Even a 2nd stage cut back to nearly closed should give more than enough air even in deep water. As it has been serviced just before, Be very caitious about the shop when it really gave not enough air.
No buddy available during the dive?

Be carefull, you will approach the limit sooner than expected. I’n mynopinion its better to carry a bit more redundancy with you. 2 pound of equipment will not destroy your streamline nor your ballance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom