HP hose with adaptor to lp port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That fitting was used for the first SPG's, which had the hose fitting at the back and no need for a swivel. When the bottom fittings were made the swivel was also made so they could be faced conviently when used. The actual fitting on the SPG's were the same and older hoses could be use with new SPG's. Industrial standards being what they are, I'll bet they are still interchangeable, although I haven't rooted through my dive locker to check.

Like modifying a natural gas regulator to breathe air underwater, we all know how that turned out.

Bob

Thank you for giving me a reason to check! You're right and I didn't know it prior to dive locker digging moments ago:

The non swivel spg is just the standard pipe fitting. (SAE Straight Thread 7/16-20In I assume from comparing it to my other known fitting)

Old hp hose (original?)
received_201932097385866.jpeg

Recent short hp "SCUBA" hose:
received_285801455392411.jpeg

I recall a @Sam Miller III dive history trivia question a few months back which referenced the sea-vue. An added reason to post this up.

The old hose also fits a new spool and seats with a semi new SPG as well.

Industry standards!

Cameron

Ps. In an attempt to stay on topic even though I got excited: the old hp hoses screw into a LP port, but the orifice appears to be larger than the newer hoses I have on hand.

: the old hp hoses screw into a LP port, but the orifice appears to be larger than the newer hoses I have on hand

Old first stages had the same threads for both LP and HP ports. This was changed later to avoid confusion. As far as the oraface, I would imagine it was found a smaller one would work as well for the gauge and loose gas at a lower rate if the hose burst, which is also good on the surface as the hose would have less energy flailing around.

Bob

it was not a natural gas regulator it was a COOKING gas regulator (I believe there was a difference ), and it was Emile Ganaun (not sure that's spelled right ) and Cousteau (we all know his name as he beat Emile to the patent office )

Sorry, around here natural gas is cooking gas.

Bob

WW2 cooking gas I think it was sterno and gasoline or something

Looked around, found it was a coal gas regulator.

"Coal gas is a flammable gaseous fuel made from coal and supplied to the user via a piped distribution system. The gas obtained when coal is heated strongly in the absence of air. Town gas is a more general term referring to manufactured gaseous fuels produced for sale to consumers and municipalities."

The coal gas industry started in the mid to later 1800's and was replaced by natural gas worldwide starting in the '50's. I believe the same regulators can be used as they just need to be gas regulators for hydrocarbon based fuel gasses.

Bob

I knew it wasn't something common now ......cool you found out what the reg was .....on the same note I have a REAL early single hose and the first stage looks ALOT like my bbq reg .....

What CO monitor requires 0.5lpm? At that miniscule rate you could just as easily put the meter in a zip lock bag then fill it up with any BC hose and a nipple. Put a hole in the opposite side of the bag as a pressure vent. I did this for a couple years before scuba specific CO meters were made, it worked ok. A needle valve fed at 145psi IP and measured with a dwyer gauge before getting locked in place is a rather costly (~$200) approach to what is really a "no flow" analysis.

Back
Top Bottom