Neoprene integrity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDalts

Registered
Reaction score
First time post! I’ve owned a 2nd hand Ndiver neoprene drysuit which has been sat in my wardrobe for 15 years (long story short) and I’ve recently decided to learn how to use it.

After 1 pool session I came out wet, so had the suit leak tested and the cuffs adjusted. All good apparently....

Another pool session and still I’m coming out pretty damp - my colleagues have suggested sweat, which is possible, given how hot it is in the swimming hall and pool, but it feels more than that.

The spread of the water inside the suit is all over inside - almost as if the neoprene itself is ‘leaking’ or absorbing too much water through.

Now firstly, am I missing the point here and this is supposed to happen, I.E these are not fully dry suits or is it possible after 15/20 years, the neoprene has degraded and lost its over all integrity and is no longer fully waterproof?

To add - the following day after a dive, it takes forever to dry - I’ll hang it up and all the water pools inside the boots and I have to pour out the browny liquid, turning the whole thing inside out to get it dry.

Thanks in advance for your help and hope this makes some sense!

What are you wearing under the suit? You need a wicking layer to absorb sweat.

If it hot and you’re sealed into a rubber bag you may just sweat a bit, as Marie 13 suggests the right undies will help.

An easy way to test the suit is to load up with extra weight and lay on the bottom of the pool, have your buddie check for leaks as you move around to bring each part of the suit to the top so the bubble can find potential leaks.

If is wet all over the inside it is most likely sweat though, I would suggest some good heavy wool for the base layer.

@JDalts

If you’re just working in the pool, a long sleeved wicking workout shirt s and a pair of long running/workout tights/leggings would work. You can get these anywhere.

Drysuits are more properly called Dampsuits

You can always do a leak test.

Just how much liquid are you pouring out? There is only so much I would attribute to sweat. Also, it’s brown liquid? Not sounding good. Maybe do your best to rinse and dry it out before next experimental use.

Thank you for all your replies - I’ve just been in swim shorts in the pool - they are damp when I’m done and my skin is quite damp all over my body.

I’ve done the bubble test with a buddy and the only obvious leaks were out of the cuffs, which have now been adjusted and are much better and it has been leaked tested.

But the slightly strange thing I’m trying to get my head around is that when I’m finished in the pool, I’m still coming out damp all over, as is the suit inside, but not pouring out. It’s only after leaving over night to dry it seems to behave more like a wetsuit - I.e the water permeates inside which gets wetter and collects in my boots where I can then pour some out the next day.

This makes me feel like the neoprene itself is not water resistant enough anymore. That’s why I asked if anyone has experience of a decaying of the suit? It’s almost like it’s a wetsuit at the moment!

If I don’t wear a long sleeve top under my trilam drysuit, my arms will be so wet with sweat that I thought I had a leak. Suit was damp inside too. Wear more than a swimsuit you will see the difference. Suit will still be a bit damp inside.

Wear a long sleeve wicking top and bottoms and see what happens.

No clue about the brown stuff. Maybe suit is just too danged old.

If I don’t wear a long sleeve top under my trilam drysuit, my arms will be so wet with sweat that I thought I had a leak. Suit was damp inside too. Wear more than a swimsuit you will see the difference. Suit will still be a bit damp inside.

Wear a long sleeve wicking top and bottoms and see what happens.

No clue about the brown stuff. Maybe suit is just too danged old.

Thank you - I’ll give this a go.

I’ll guess I’ll just take the plunge soon and use it in cold water, I’ll soon find out what’s going on!

Sounds like you may also have a wrong understanding of neoprene used in wetsuits. It is closed cell foam, not open cell like a sponge. Water enters at cuffs and neck, and possibly the seams depending on construction, but it does not permeate the neoprene foam. There is a layer of fabric bonded to both sides of most wetsuits, and that is what is holding the water that needs to dry.
So, I doubt that little puddle of water is being released from the neoprene, it is probably just the surface moisture running down and pooling over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom