Clearing the ears "no hands"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...remove your mask and put on the nose clip. Then replace the mask, and again dive to the bottom, this time blowing gently into the mask as you descend. You will find the equalizing, still using the Valsalvo maneuver, easy and hands-free. I use it experimenting with my Hammerhead swimming device while using the dolphin kick. If you cannot equalize your mask, abort and loosen the nose clip.

This technique for hands-free equalizing is as old as skin diving itself, but has been mostly lost to current generations...
most of old Soviet breathing apparatus (closed loop) was eqipped by nose clip. Also isolated gas masks (that works on peroxide).
2.6. Комплектующие изделия и принадлежности
58.jpg

PA151564.JPG

It is very easy to equalize with it

I've descended very fast and far before and just left the eustachian tubes open the whole time by doing a sustained yawning maneuver. I can feel a constant and smooth exchange of air and never have pressure build up and have to do the clear every few feet thing.
Once you figure it out it's a wonderfull skill to have.
Most of my constant equalization happens when I'm freediving. I originally found out about doing this method when I asked a pro freediver about how those guys equalize so fast that ride sleds down to 600 plus feet, and he explained that this is the only way they can do it. I'm no where near that level of freediver, I might have gotten to fifty feet in the past on a good day, but the method remains the same.
An old scuba instructor and ex Navy diver told me about the same thing years ago. He said if I ever got tired of the head swimming and worn out plugged ear feeling after a day of diving to try this method. Your ears will never get over inflated because they will never be pushed beyond ambient pressure.
Interesting, must try that. I think I know what you mean as I think that's what I do to block out loud noises (like a truck passing you when your walking). You just "hold the position".

I know this is old, but I am one of those who can't equalize with valsava or jaw wiggling. Does nothing. However, I am able to equalize hands-free, by tilting my head all the way to one side till the ear is pointing up, and then repeating the process on the other side. I kind of look like the Cheshire Cat with my head ticking back and forth as I descend. Being horizontal is helpful, easier to turn the head instead of touching it to my shoulder, which is how I did it at first. Does no favors for your sense of balance, to be sure. I'm not entirely sure why it works (perhaps someone with anatomical knowledge can chime in), but it does, reliably. I can hear and feel the rush of equalizing flow. Thankfully I don't need to repeat the process on ascent.

I clear hands free. I don't know how/when I started being able to do it, but I can. Maybe from when I was a swimmer/diver (as in diving board diver) when I was little. It's handy.

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Most of the time I don't keep track. As long as you have your hands free what's the difference?

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Most of the time I don't keep track. As long as you have your hands free what's the difference?

The different maneuvers also differ in terms of safety and effectiveness. Valsalva is the easiest but also the worst one in terms of safety

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom