Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive both BM and SM. Either just based on what’s best for the dive, or situation. I do like the simplicity of backmount. I can keep my gears pretty will together, and be walking to the water just a few minutes after parking.

With a stage and deco bottle, BM is by far my favorite.

I have always used a cart to move tanks - one of the collapsible canvas ones, but I expect I’ll be getting a collapsible metal hand truck for the doubles.

I’m 5’5” so I don’t expect to have any issues on the bench on the boat.

When I switched from an AL 80 + slung AL 30 pony to back mount doubles, I was amazed and giddy with the sense of freedom I experienced from the lack of anything in front of my body or under my arms.

I have no interest in diving sidemount or going anywhere that they might actually be necessary. When I see all these fad-ists in sausages-under-the-arms configuration for no useful reason I get the heebie-jeebies.

To each his/her own.

When I switched from an AL 80 + slung AL 30 pony to back mount doubles, I was amazed and giddy with the sense of freedom I experienced from the lack of anything in front of my body or under my arms.

I have no interest in diving sidemount or going anywhere that they might actually be necessary. When I see all these fad-ists in sausages-under-the-arms configuration for no useful reason I get the heebie-jeebies.

To each his/her own.

A large number of the people I know that SM - who aren’t doing cave or tech diving - are doing it because of physical issues. Some of them are older divers who have back issues and can’t handle doubles anymore. Or they got into diving later in life and took up SM early in their diving career. I think that because SM has gotten more exposure people are picking it up simply because they’d never known it was an option before.

A huge draw of doubles for me is the plug and play aspect. Also, showing up with doubles already bolted to backplate, regs on, etc., with my only other gear being a drysuit bag is a HUGE draw for me.

OK, another question:

Is there anything special I need to do my first time in the pool?

re post 24: Back-mount doubles with BP have actually improved my back situation.

Does anyone have pics of hose routing WITHOUT the fifth port? My regs are XTX50 with the first stage having the rotating turret (can’t remember name right now).

Back
Top Bottom