Monterey Diving... WHO KNEW!!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is possible to get a killer deal on a drysuit. Fit is everything. If you have the cash for a custom suit, go for it. They ain't cheap. If you know your mesurements and will fit an off-the-rack suit, they're considerably less expensive when new, and can be found used.

As far as materials, designs, brands, undergarments, etc...we could go on for days.

I had a Bare semi-dry suit. Bare's sizing system is such that I knew which size drysuit to order, off the rack, over the internet, with thinsulate undergarment, for under $1k. I got lucky and love the suit, though I need just a tad more range of motion in the shoulder to complete a very critical maneuver.

Take your time. Do your homework. Get what works for you within your budget. If I had the cash, it would be a DUI TLS 350 for me.

And if you liked Breakwater yesterday, you're gonna LOVE the rest.

diver@35:
I thought that I'd have to buy direct from a store. On-line just won't cut it with fit being the main issue (wonder if I could try on a suit at a shop then order it...too problematic??). Maybe I'll have to start a drysuit fund and stick with the wetsuit fer now. Cold doesn't bother me too much (I'm a Utah boy) so maybe I can get by for a while.

WRT outfits.. appreciate all of the advice. I don't want to be on a boat that's too tech for now. I'll have 13 dives in and want to feel comfortable with the team and crew I'm with. And smaller boats (6 pack) sound like the way to go in any diving scenario... I'll check into all of these over time.

Will try to book Pt. Lobos in December.

Cheers ~Keith

Tough it out in a wetsuit for now, save your bucks and get a top end suit like a DUI TLS350 or a DC Ultra Flex both awesome and both expe$ive. A DUI TLS 350 is about $2,200 for a Signature Series wich includes: Rock Boots, Hood, Two Pockets, Hose, Bag and Custom Cut to your size...you also get the cool Signature Series patch! :)

Yep... My DM had a DUI. That signature patch is perty darned cool. Not that I'd buy anything just because it looks cool...ever...I swear! :eyebrow:

Think I'll start sticking away a couple hundred per month. If I skip the two Large Triple Mochas :11ztongue I have every day at Pete's Coffee it'll be a snap.

Funny thing happened when we went to an art and wine fair last summer in Saratoga.. There was this little old lady who made banks out of long tube socks. She had Retirement Fund socks, College Fund socks, Friday Poker Fund socks, etc.). Well I remember that one of them said "Diving Fund" and I thought...why the heck would anyone need a Diving Fund???

If only I'd known :wink:

Cheers,
~Keith

CALI68:
Tough it out in a wetsuit for now, save your bucks and get a top end suit like a DUI TLS350 or a DC Ultra Flex both awesome and both expe$ive. A DUI TLS 350 is about $2,200 for a Signature Series wich includes: Rock Boots, Hood, Two Pockets, Hose, Bag and Custom Cut to your size...you also get the cool Signature Series patch! :)

diver@35:
Yep... My DM had a DUI. That signature patch is perty darned cool. Not that I'd buy anything just because it looks cool...ever...I swear! :eyebrow:

Think I'll start sticking away a couple hundred per month. If I skip the two Large Triple Mochas :11ztongue I have every day at Pete's Coffee it'll be a snap.

Funny thing happened when we went to an art and wine fair last summer in Saratoga.. There was this little old lady who made banks out of long tube socks. She had Retirement Fund socks, College Fund socks, Friday Poker Fund socks, etc.). Well I remember that one of them said "Diving Fund" and I thought...why the heck would anyone need a Diving Fund???

If only I'd known :wink:

Cheers,
~Keith

LOL Great post! :)

Lynn CA:
off in the distance I saw something, VERY LARGE! Don't know what it was, too far away, back on the boat others said they saw a baby whale, maybe that was it.

If you noticed a couple of inflatables pacing the whale towards Pt Pinos, that was us.

It appeared to be a small grey whale. Somebody on another board said it had been in harbor before heading back towards the open ocean.

jky

Both my instructor and DM said that 11/14 (this past Sunday) was one of the worst days they'd seen in a long time at Breakwater.

The swells were large, the waves were crashing over the stairs, the vis stunk, it was tough to get and keep your bearnings, paramedics and Firetrucks were there, folks went missing and then were found...

All in all very exciting.

And it made me realize, yet again, what a tight bond there is amongst the diving community. Many people, complete strangers, were helping out when and where they could.

Good stuff and I'm glad that I had the chance to cut my teeth on a day like that for my 3rd and 4th cert dives.

3 days to Playa Del Carmen. Man...those waters are gonna be sweet! After yesterday I'm going to be very relaxed and comfortable.

If you're reading this thread and are a new student who is considering Referral dives versus doing Monterey... PLEASE ...dive Monterey. Your experience when you go on vacation is sure to be that much sweeter because of your more arduous dives in Norcal and you can always come back to Monterey and be in familiar surroundings should you choose to continue diving here.

As for me I'm hooked. Looking forward to Point Lobos sometime in Jan.

Cheers mates,
~Keith

Back
Top Bottom