Old man and a budget Liveaboard Komodo--Part three

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshort4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess I'm rambling on a bit so I'll try to wrap this up now.
Batu Balong dive site--this got a bit hairy.
Third dive of the day. Falling tide--negative entry. At about forty feet everything was fine--nice dive, lots of fish--white tips, usual reef fish and lots of them---then noticed we were drifting deeper---before we knew it we were at 90 feet and still falling. At 96 feet I was close to the wall and kicked over and grabbed onto it to keep from being pulled deeper. My dive buddy was right above me clinging to the wall as well as was our guide a few feet higher up. We started climbing the wall up and after about ten feet the down current slowed down and we managed to get back up to about 30 feet---we started swimming along the wall and the going got hard again and the guide signaled current and to turn around. About 50 feet the other way the same thing happened--she signaled a down current--no place to go. The fourth diver that had joined us from another group signaled she was low on air--after 25 minutes--I looked and I was down to about 1600 psi or110 bar.One of the other groups was right next to us and our guide signaled for us to join them and she would take the diver with the low air up and we could continue our dive. I looked at the other guide who signaled me to join up with my buddy who when I looked was ten feet above me following our DM to the surface--really? I kicked up and rejoined my dive buddy and did our safety stop. The current was wild we clung to the wall right below the surface. The DM told me to let go and go to the surface---instantly I was blown off the wall and was 40 yards out into the blue when I hit the surface. I saw the pickup boat coming and the other three divers had surfaced closer to it. It stopped to pick them up and I started kicking to get over to it but was getting nowhere--I could see the river of current on top of the water and I was being pulled toward it--still kicking like hell when the boat pulled up next to me--I was one tired puppy! I asked my dive buddy why she went up instead of joining the other group. She said she was having equipment problems--her BC she was trying to inflate didn't seem to be working--I explained that she was in a heavy down current and it was working fine--just not being able to lift her in the current. Dive time was 31 minutes and I was fine with calling the dive---another first. That was the worst current I've ever experienced--dives the next two days were also swift but nothing like that. The Cauldron and Shotgun dive were pretty fast and exciting but the current is why you do those dives. So to wrap this up---exciting dives--new things to see for me---and sooo happy I went with Uber Scuba--yes it wasn't luxury but was more than comfortable and the people in the crew and the dive guides made the trip wonderful. Would I use them again--yes in a heartbeat. Oh one more thing--day trips. I did one day of day trips with them--didn't care for that at all--long trip out in the boat (90 minutes) to many people on the boat (18 divers) just not my cup of tea after being on their liveaboard. I'm in the Philippines for the next 28 days and will be diving in Sipalay and Dauin for the next two weeks before flying home to chilly Colorado. Good diving to all and Happy Thanksgiving!
IMAG1162.jpg
IMAG1164.jpg
MICR1350.jpg
IMAG1103.jpg
IMAG1103.jpg

Great report! I’m considering a 3 night liveaboard. Just in case I don’t, does Uber take the day boats to Batu Bolong regularly? Also curious if they rent computers.

Great report! I’m considering a 3 night liveaboard. Just in case I don’t, does Uber take the day boats to Batu Bolong regularly? Also curious if they rent computers.
Yes my friend they do go to Batu Bolong on a regular basis. They were scheduled to go there the next day on the day trip that I cancelled. They do all the central and north sites on a rotating basis--Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, Manta Point etc. And I do believe they rent dive computers. We actually had one diver on our liveaboard that was diving with no computer. The last two days I loaned him my Mares Pro Puck that I have as a back-up so he would have a computer to dive with. I had actually wished before the dives that they had Nitrox to dive with but it really wasn't needed---most of our dives were less than 60 feet so Nitrox would kind of be a waste.

Had similar liveaboard with UberScuba's competitors Dragon Dive Komodo. (I wrote a report on this board)
We a couple in our mid-fifties, and me diving, had the most fun with a young intrenational backpacking crowd.
I mean how could we consider going on another liveaboard with people only caring or discussing about their work home and other boring things.

Great report, it feels good not to be the only old gizzard diving around south east asia LOL
I would love to get your impressions on Dauin as I am planning to go there next year
All the best

Great report, it feels good not to be the only old gizzard diving around south east asia LOL
I would love to get your impressions on Dauin as I am planning to go there next year
All the best
I'll be in Dauin next week--my third visit at Mikes Dauin Beach Resort. A lot of "muck" diving off the coast of Dauin and reef diving at Apo Island. I love it there--not touristy and very quite--love the little town. The folks at Mikes are great and that's one of my main reasons for returning to that resort. I'll post a review after my stay there especially if anything has changed.

All the best

Et bien Patrick... Dauin has excellent black sand diving, with masses of critters, I've often seen more than a dozen juvenile frogfish or groups of 4-5 ornate GPF within one dive. If I had compare with other PIs spots, Anilao is much better in terms of variety (more rare nudis, more cephalopods) but Dauin is denser in terms of numbers, it can really get crazy sometimes in season.

However I am not a fan of Apo island, even though the coral is quite nice I feel the fish is missing, in thi srespect I prefer the blue water sites accessed from Anilao like Beatrice or Sombrero.
All in all Dauin may be good for a short week but IMO needs to couple with better coral reefs nearby like Balicasag for instance, if rare critters are the main focus Dauin may be short of variety, Anilao is better in that respect.

With regards to the resort selection it's better to stay around Carwreck/Sanctuary/Masaplod area to get the best black sand dives, I find the resorts located down south Zamboanguita just in front of Apo isalnd do not have the same quality of crtter dives. (I've tried Mike's and Azure, personally I like very much the food and the guides quality at Azure , although I was satisfied overall as well with Mike's providing you get the breezier room fronting the sea on the upper floor, Mike's location is slightly better too).

Merci Luko, you are shedding a new perspective on the subject of macro. I have been diving in Lembeh a long time ago when there was only one resort KKB and I am not in the mood to go back; I lived in Manilla for 12 years and Anilao was our week end dive spot but at the time nobody was interested in Macro, I just went twice to Ambon, and I must say that I like the dives especially the Laha ones I like creatures comfort though and Ambon is far from catering to it apart from the up market resorts and even so ... So Dauin it will be, I will PM you fro more details about which resort . Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom