PADI Advanced Open Water: Did you learn anything new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shrug: pix or it didn't happen. Have you actually been there and saw no sparkly things for yourself?

lmao I aint never going down to 150ft deep. 90 ft deep scared me but that was likely CO2 and Ill start a thread on that. Will likely ease my concerns after I do that thread.

lmao I aint never going down to 150ft deep. 90 ft deep scared me but that was likely CO2 and Ill start a thread on that. Will likely ease my concerns after I do that thread.

So as far as you know, there was indeed shiny stuff at 150' and she was telling it exactly as it was and you were being a **ck?

If you want to "ease your concerns", an SB thread on CO2 retention may not be the best option. Nor do you have to start one, just google for "dark narc scuba": the top hit is SB threads.

I think with a good instructor you can hone your skill set and learn something new. Why do people who have skied for years take time with a pro or golfers or just about any other activity. I was NAUI and both OWI and Advanced were very different but they were perhaps a little more intense than PADI. I had to switch over for lack of instructors after that. For those who say may be they already know everything or think they do they probably won’t get much out of it. I feel that over the years I have evolved into a pretty good diver but am still amazed by how much more is out there to learn and discover. If you are open to asking you will probably get something out of it as opposed to someone who sees no value in it from the get go.

So as far as you know, there was indeed shiny stuff at 150' and she was telling it exactly as it was and you were being a **ck?

If you want to "ease your concerns", an SB thread on CO2 retention may not be the best option. Nor do you have to start one, just google for "dark narc scuba": the top hit is SB threads.

I could care less about SPARKLY stuff. What I found pompous about her was her bold statement in hundreds of dives and twenty years of diving shes NEVER once been narcd in the least. Even at 150 feet deep. I may not know much but I know thats false. Either that or she might be an alien.

and thats TWICE youve brought that up. Hope it wasnt your wife I was talking to lol

I was able to locate my AOW manual - it is dated 1984. Covers off navigation (natural and compass), night and limited visibility diving, search and salvage, and deep diving.

Divegoose
What were the requirements for the certification? Are you saying there were only 4 dives required? (I don't know what "covers off" means.)

I didn't learn much of anything. But again, this comes down to the instructor. There are a number of good PADI instructors who will teach an AOW course where your skills do significantly improve. People just need to know how to find them.

PADI manuals are concise educational tools, which when serious about learning to dive
you view them as such read them and learn them and practice with vigour the contents

Those critical of the training process perhaps have less understanding
about how varied people are and how divers are enthusiastically developed
Squandering this resource thinking to only pass a test to get cards to get on boats
brings far less result than utilising these as a solid base for learning when on those boats

Shore diving also rocks!!!!!!!

PADI got me here and I got me back, except for the solo diving part, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

full.jpg

See that lighthouse place down there well that's where I used to live, but as far as diving
in ones backyard goes, it was still more than a one kilometre walk and 100 metres down

In full gear
with a PADI manual

“Shore diving also rocks!!!!!!!”... by the looks of the picture, it definitely “rocks” lol

Yeah, I like the almost no planning part of shoredives. Boat dives here for the most part need to be booked or take chance of availability on day of dive.

And shore dives seem more adventurous sometimes. Lot of people don’t like hiking with full gear or long surface swims, but doesn’t bother me.

What were the requirements for the certification? Are you saying there were only 4 dives required? (I don't know what "covers off" means.)

Those were the topics covered in the manual. It has been a long time since I took the the AOW course, but if memory serves me correctly we did five dives. The dives consisted of the following:

1. night dive x 2
2. deep dive - this included some altitude calculations as we were diving at 5000 asl
3. underwater distance measurement and then run some compass courses
4. salvage / recovery - using a lift bag, raise a basket full of weights from the bottom

I'll will have to dig through my old log books to confirm.

Divegoose

and thats TWICE youve brought that up. Hope it wasnt your wife I was talking to lol

Nah, she don't got no stinking nitrox cert, couldn't of been 'er.

Back
Top Bottom